Our personal Tour de France

Alpe d'Huez Travel Blog

Col du Galibier
Our next stage should bring us to Alpe d´Huez, a place in the mountains that is famous as a venue for the Tour de France.
Some years ago I got pretty excited concerning this annual event and was really interested in the different teams and stages that´s why I was keen on going to Alpe d´Huez, too.

The route to the top of the mountain was really steep, dominated by quite a few hairpin bends and an awesome view.

My Dad was so pleased because he absolutely loves these kinds of adventurous tours and I admit that the fresh air and all the wide impressions on top often make these drives worth but with our luck … you never know …

All the bends are named after successful Tour de France participants and the crosses on the rock walls also remind on the cyclists, who lost their lives while looking for this challenge.

All in all we arrived the top of the mountain just a little bit faster than professional cyclist Marco Pantani years ago, how amazing.

The location of Alpe d´Huez is absolutely popular among tourists nowadays, which means crowded streets and heaps of hotels and restaurants didn´t surprise us too much.

Now we were searching fort he original finish line. We didn´t come up the route just for fun. No, we also wanted to cross this white line! Finding this inconspicuous place took quite a while because there were no cameras and fans along the street but we succeeded in the end.

When we went back I noticed a pretty suspicious smell. ‘Oh, that must be our brakes’ Dad told us. Driving down such a steep street with a heavy vehicle like ours had to leave traces behind. Okay, as long as the brakes wouldn´t break as well …

The next mountain we climbed that day was the Col du Galibier. It was so windy on top but the view was pretty amazing and we liked this special atmosphere and the impressive freedom!

In the end of the day we arrived after around 520km near Bourg en Bresse.

sylviandavid says:
What a great place to be... AND you crossed the finish line! sylvia
Posted on: Mar 22, 2009
bernard69 says:
Your blog brings back good memories:when I did my National service as officer trained for mountaneous terrain,I spent several months in l'Alpe d'Huez and was lucky to enjoy there the nice flat (close to the Tour de France finish line) of a buddy named... Jourdan(the ancient luxury shoes)
Posted on: Mar 16, 2009