A Sad Layover in Seattle

Seattle Travel Blog

My flight out of Amsterdam was on Northest and I had a connection through Seattle.  Wednesday Feb 25th is when the Turkish Air flight crashed in Amsterdam, killing several people.  Three of those killed were Boeing employees from Washington.  I did not realize the delay in our fligh departure from AMS, along with all the added security was due to the bodies of those killed being transported home on our plane.  Several of the family members were present and as we landed at SeaTac, we were met with a bunch of emergency equipment, police, and an unusual number of airport personnel.  I was a little worried that between the presence at departure and our arrival here, either something had been wrong with our plane or there was someone of concern on the flight itself.  As we departed the plane, I saw several of the flight attendants looking out the windows in First Class.  After departing the plane and walking into the terminal, I now saw several hearses arrive and someone told me the Boeing employees' bodies were flown home on our plane.  It was incredibly sad and hard to watch as they prepared to unload the caskets from the plane.  I did not feel it was appropriate to take pictures of something like this but the mental image will stay with me forever.

After getting through customs, there was over an hour delay in getting our luggage because of the added security and the time needed to unload the caskets.  They were telling people with short connections their airlines would try to do something but their flights would likely change or they would be rerouted elsewhere.  This is one time I was thankful for a 3 hour layover!  We finally got our luggage and I went straight to the gate to rest for awhile and watch the rain come down outside.  It was definitely a somber way to end the trip.

photo by: diisha392