A day in Jerteh..waiting

Penang Travel Blog

Sat 27th June

Obviously, since I got burnt yesterday, it must mean that today is the day we're leaving! The one thing I have been dreading and thinking about the most is having to carry my pack with burnt shoulders... it was a nightmare!!!

The lady at the Chalet told us there was a bus to Penang at 10am from Jerteh, a little town just away from Kuala Besut. So we hopped on the first speed boat of the morning and to the bus terminal. Seems the bus went at 8am and the next one wasnt until that night! Fiona and Chris were also headed to Penang and we found them sitting disappointed at the bus terminal too. So, we had a day to kill in a borring town with nothing to do. We sat outside KFC for about an hour before it finally opened for some air con and toilets! Spent about 3 hours in a net cafe, some more time in KFC, then found a little chinese shop that had a hidden back room selling beers.. ahhhh cold beer went down so well by this stage!! Also I discovered that when I ran my hand across my back burn, it was quite lumpy.... OWWWWWWW blisters!!!! My back was covered in blisters. From there on in I could no longer carry my pack, and poor Chris was kind enough to lug it around for me.

We finally got the bus at 8PM and were on out way!!

Not only could I not lean back into my chair for the whole 8 hours, the aircon was at a blizzardly cold setting. I ended up stuffing the curtain up my aircon vent to block it, as there was no way to turn it off. What did work in out favour however was that there was one spare set of seats, so Gordon and I both got 2 seats to ourselves. This made it slightly more managable as I was able to sort of lie down on my side and rest a little.

photo by: Aurora78