Time is slowely ticking down!

Melbourne Travel Blog

25 days to go...!!!!!

WARNING:::: This entry contains little or no important/interesting information. If you read the previous entry and found that intolerable, I warn you, DONT read this one. It's 5:30am and I can't sleep cos all i can think about is my trip, so i needed to do something to fulfill my trip cravings :)

I've done a lot in the last few weeks getting things organised, every little thing is just that little step closer to boarding the plane. However, I think by the time it comes to that I will self combust.. the excitement build up has been going on for too long now and I think when the time actually comes i'm going to be so overhelmed that it may just kill me.... OR help me survive the boring budget class plane ride!!! (If that doesnt kill me itself).

I'm sure i'm not the only one who gets so into their trip that all they can think about every second of the day is their trip, things to research, things to take, things to do etc. Well, this has been my journey in the last few months...

1. Bought a backpack!! I started browsing and couldnt really decide on what size/style I wanted. Also couldnt decide how much I wanted to spend on it. I saw some Kathmandu ones for AU$500 which was well above what I wanted to spend, but they had everything I wanted in a backpack. Luckily as fate would have it, 2 weeks later they had one of their big sales and i picked up the same backpack for $250!
Its a 60Ltr backpack with detachable day pack, waterproof and a really comfy harness.

2. Now that I had the backpack, it was time for trial packs!! (Yes, i think this is when it starts getting a little overboard....) Every now and then i pretty much stuffed the backpack full of whatever clothes I had lying around my room, just testing to see how much I could fit and what the weight would be. Id then would walk around the house imagining what it will be like when im out there in the real world... Sometimes I just like to sit and stare at the backpack in a crazy freakish way.... Although in all seriousness, every time i look at it it looks bigger and bigger... and when I put it on I feel a little silly, its a bit taller than me and i look like im gonna fall over at the slightest gust of wind!

3. Bits and peices along the way... I have been gathering little bits and peices as time has gone by to keep my obsession for my trip at bay. However I have encountered a problem... I bought a little flash light awhile back and cant for the life of me remember where I put it! One of those "I'll put it here where it's safe and I wont lose it" moments I think! I always loose things when i put them away safely.
Also got myself a travel towel, sleep sheet, mini hairdryer, first aid kit, little travel laundry pack and other bits and peices.

4. Injections and stuff!- Youd think after planning this trip for 9 months now I might have made a trip to the docs a little earlier than 4 weeks before I leave... but nope, me being me, i left it till just the other day! Luckily tho one jab of typhoid, hep A and the flu is all I needed and will last me for my trip. Got some pills for malaria, nausea, severe dioreaha and general antibiotics. On top of that I went shopping at priceline ( i love priceline) and filled up a whole basket with things like immodium, panadol, quik eaze, hydrolux, water purification tablets, lip balm, high DEET insect repellent (80%!!!), and pretty much anything else that looked appealing and pretty in small little containers. I did have a special edition bottle of hand sanitizor but mum walked into the shop at just the right moment and reminded me that we already have two mini bottles of that at home. So, anyone else travelling in South East Asia, remember me, cos i'll be the portable pharmacy! And yes, I know, I could've bought probably all of that stuff for a shit load cheaper once I got there... but what else would I have done with my day off from work??? I'm also aware that I probably won't even USE half of it...

5. Selling my car- All it took was mum sending a quick little email around at her work and I had a seller all lined up and ready for my car! This took a lot of stress off because I was worried bout having to try and sell it and advertising it etc. Also since i'm lazy this really worked out for the best!! The sale takes place a few days before I go... it was a great car, but the trip is more important at the moment!

6. Resigning- WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! This bit was probably the hardest thing i've done in a long time. Firstly, the fact that I aquired both of my jobs (full time day job and evening/weekend job) on the basis that I blatantly lied in the interview and said I was saving for a house and planned to stick around for a good many years, made it hard to tell them the real reason I was leaving. The day I resigned from the day job I spent the whole day nervous and trying to work out exactly what I was going to say. It was a little risky as I was being kind and giving them a months notice. Although i'm still on probation and could leave in a week... hence they could also get rid of me in a week too if they wanted! But luckily it all worked out and I will be working up till 10th June. As for what I told them... pretty much the truth, just with a little twist that won them over :D

7. Itinerary changes... my ideas of my trip seem to change every day. First I was in asia for 2 months, then to London to work and travel europe for a year or two. Then due to money, it changed to 6 months in asia. Then, since i already have a ticket booked from KL to London, i thought i would go to europe for two months in between backpacking asia. All good in theory, but ive now decided to spend these whole 6 months in asia, and then save europe for my next trip. I dont feel its going to be worth it if i'm watching every penny i spend every second of my trip just so i can have 4 weeks to buzz around europe. Also, going to europe would mean I would have to have more of a strict schedule... which really started to stress me out thinking that I wont be able to just cruise along at my own pace and go with the wind.

Well done, you made it to the end!!! And i've wasted some time so it's almost time to get up and get ready for work!

Stay tuned... a real blog entry is not too far away now!!

dave_cambodia says:
hahahaha, nice one kathski, though just manically staring at your back pack is a bit worrying! I'll see you somewhere in Asia around October or November, I leave on the 7th of September! x
Posted on: May 31, 2009
kathski says:
Haha nah you should be right... I pretty much only got them cos im travelling to Laos and Cambodia, as long as you arent going off the beaten track too much in Thailand (and dont drink tap water!) then you should be right!
Posted on: May 30, 2009
hannah-lou says:
Haha, im getting excited for you. Should I be getting shots for Thailand? Im not good with needles and Ive been ignoring the possibility of needin them til I read your blog...
Posted on: May 30, 2009