Venice of the East

Zhouzhuang Travel Blog

Zhouzhuang - Venice of the East
At the bus station at the north end of town, we bought a city map and decided to walk to the center of the city where all of the sights are.  This way we could keep an eye out for a restaurant on the way.

On the bus ride there, I had skimmed the lonely planet and found mention of a local delicacy that sounded good called watermelon chicken or xigua ji.  The others traveling with me weren't as excited as me.

When we found a restaurant, the first thing I asked was, "ni you xigua ji ma?"  Do you have watermelon chicken?  In a scene that would repeat itself at every restaurant we visited for the trip, she asked if we wanted watermelon juice (xi gua zhi).  When I clarified that we wanted the watermelon chicken, she laughed and said "mei you."  Don't have it.  It was the kind of laugh that lets you know you're asking for something weird.
Temple Bordered by Canals

After lunch, we continued to the city center.  Our tickets (the ones we got in Suzhou at the bus station) included 10 sites.  We only had enough time to see three of them that afternoon.  My favorite was a temple at the southern part of the town.  Normally, I don't get very excited about temples, but this one was surrounded by canals, making it really beautiful.

After seeing 3 sites, the sun began to set, so we caught a boom-boom to the bus station and back to Suzhou.  That evening in Suzhou, we went to a nice restaurant on Guanqian.  Again, I asked for the watermelon chicken, but the only reply was a familiar laugh.
Zhouzhuang