My third time in the states...

Washington Travel Blog

The white house

This trip to Washington, DC happened because I was sent from my work to a conference in the US capital. It was the first time that I would be abroad for a conference, my third time in the States and my first time alone. I have to admit I was VERY naive back then, and I had no idea about how things were in the States. I consider this my first real trip outside Mexico, as the first two times I was in the States (El Paso and Oklahoma), I was surrounded by mexicans all the time, so I couldn't do much on my own.

My adventures started all the way from Day 1. The company that I worked for had bought the plane tickets, so I didn't even check what airport I was going to land into. As I said, I was young and naive and had never really been out of Mexico on my own.

Library of the congress
I arrived at the DC-Baltimore airport, so as you know, I was VERY far from downtown. As I was unfamiliar with public transportation, I thought taking a taxi wouldn't be as bad. When I told the taxi driver I wanted him to take me to DC DOWNTOWN he was like Yeih! Sure sir! Hahahaha I still can't believe I did that. The bill was $240 dollars! Fortunately I had enough cash to pay it, but I remember when I showed my company the bill they were outraged! Lol. I blamed them, as I had no idea the airport would be so far from the city! :P

The next surprise was the hotel. Of course my company had offered to book a hotel room for me, but hahaha I am embarrased to say this, I was still very thrilled by the recent adventure in Zacatecas and wanted to stay in a hostel.

Capitol
I couldn't be more wrong! I have reviewed the place already, but it was truly scary. I was shocked! The place was dirty, old and ugly; the elevator looked like taken from a Stephen King movie. The staff were rude and there was a naked man in my room when I got it. I was absolutelly apalled by all this, so I left that very same night. My company had not made any reservation for me, so I found myself wandering and trying to find a hotel close to the conference location, which was Crystal City.

As you know, the area is pretty expensive, so a colombian taxi driver recommended me a cheap motel in Arlington. It was even more scary than the hostel downtown. You could tell it was only one of those drug and sex motels. The guy at the front desk was behind bars for safety.

Capitol
I had dinner at a japanese restaurant nearby and after that I literally locked myself in the room, I almost felt like putting a sofa behind the door lol.

The next day I went checking in to the conference hotel. What a difference! It was like heaven from hell. On the way there, the taxi driver asked me why was I staying at such motel, since I looked like a decent person. Lol. He recommended me another place in Crystal City, which wasn't too good, but at least was safe and quiet. I also made a review about it.

Anyway, I finally escaped from the first two scary places I had landed into, and could relax to attend the conference. It absorbed most of my mornings, but I could do some walking in DC downtown. I remember walking endlessly between all the nearby landmarks, the capitol, the white house, the national mall... it was a completely open minding trip for me and I enjoyed it a lot.

That trip was extremely important for me, as that is where I met my future Ph.D. advisor. It changed my life forever. It was the first step before I decided to move to the States to continue my studies.

montecarlostar says:
Hahaha I understand you perfectly! That's why travelling abroad is so exciting, one gets to discover other ways to do things that may seem bizarre for our countries!

About the room, yes, it was a hostel, so you have roommates, but I think there's people who has a different concept about privacy. I would never roam around naked in a shared room! Hahaha it's hillarious now but it was a bit scary and creepy at the mooment, lol
Posted on: Feb 07, 2011
kumikob says:
There was a naked man in your room? That's hilarious :D :D Your being naive and nervous made me remember my very first time in the U.S. I used the bathroom in SFO airpot and was shocked to see that the doors had openings on the bottom and people can see your feet!! I was so scared that someone will reach in and grab my purse so I held it tight the whole time I was inside.. it's all good memory now though, aren't they :)
Posted on: Feb 07, 2011
FBI
FBI
Washington Hostels review
Horrible hostel in US capital
This hostel is like the hostel of terror. It was about my third time in the United States when I went to DC and stayed at this hostel. The location is… read entire review