Samara Travel Blog

Samara

Monday 3/15 -  I woke up at 6:00am.  I did not want to miss a minute of our vacation.  Oscar was there early to pick us up for the ride to Samara. Sunny morning could see the ocean from our room this morning. I did some bird watching this morning saw 4 different types’ one with a bright yellow breast.  Left at 8:30 for the 4 hour ride.  Stopped at the grocery store to get more wine, cervaza (Bavaria light & Imperial), rum, and some coffee and green Lizano sauce to take home. Oscar said he would take our souvenirs and any extra weight to our last Hotel, the Vista Del Valle.

Las Brisas Hotel
Oscar works for that hotel all the time, and it saved us from having to take it on the small plane ride.

The dirt pot rutted road down the hill was not as bad as people said it was.  It heated up quick just a few miles down as the terrain changed to more open, dryer grassy rolling hills.  Had great views of the ocean and surrounding foothills on the way down.  After about 2 hours we hit nice paved road. The road would be paved the rest of the way.  Oscar stopped at a road side place for lunch.  I had a very good Sea Bass lunch served with a shrimp sauce on a banana leaf $5.  Saw Iguanas and a dead monkey in the road.  Drove through another small town, everyone seemed to dress well.

Warm now about 85 degree as we  arrived at Las Brisas Hotel.

Las Brisas Hotel
Our rooms were on a hill with a great view of the ocean.  Our  Jr. sky room was very basic 2 beds, 1 queen & 1 single, tile floor, balcony with table and 2 chairs and ceiling fan.  The air conditioner was a swamp cooler, but it did the job. This German owned place needed some maintenance and I could see that he skimped on some things like no wash rags, no blankets or bed spread in  the room, no coffee maker, no clock, cheap thin toilet paper, no place in bathroom to set items and dim lighting.  The upper pool area did not have enough lounge chairs and the upper bar and restaurant was closed.  If you can’t do stairs this isn’t the place for you.  Long stairway down to lower pool, restaurant and beach.  All of this said, after looking in the area I’m glad we stayed there.  It was the best location, you could walk to other restaurants along the beach and walk to town.  The lower pool area was nice and had plenty of shade and tropical plants and the breakfast was good.
Horse riding on the beach $5
You didn’t need blankets anyway.

Got on swim suits and headed down to beach.  They had umbrellas and lounge chairs.   A lot of coral in sand right in front of the Hotel, the sand got better 200 yards away and at low tide.  The water was blue and warm and the surf was mild.  Samara is a small beach town protected by a reef.  Went swimming and relaxed the rest of the day.  Made rum punches and watched pretty sunset.

Had drinks on balcony before dinner.  Dinner at the Las Brias, everyone’s meal was blah, very bland and service was not good. Very quiet night, slept good, sheet was all we needed.

Tuesday 3/16 - Woke up early.  Sat on balcony with binoculars watching parakeets and other birds.  Then at about 7:00 am that sound I’ve heard before, Ken I both said Howler monkeys.

Saw them from balcony then we walked just out side our door by the upper pool and they were very close in the trees.  Black male Howler monkeys howling and mothers with their babies.  So loud and unafraid of us they really put on a show for about 30 minutes. No one in the immediate area slept in that morning.  Got some great pictures.

We went down for breakfast and coffee, we had our choice of 5 menu items.  Had the Tico Breakfast, eggs, sausage, rice and beans and toast.  Very good.  The fruit plate was huge with 7 different fruits and the coffee was good.

Walked to town via beach. Bought a coconut belt for myself.  We walked to end of the beach.  Saw some very cute beach bungalows for $25 a night the Las Orcas.  Had a nice bar area with pool tables, volley ball court and great view.  Found out an American owned this place and it was the place to party until 2:30am every night.

Buddies
  Not the quiet place it should have been. Booked horse ride for the morning at 10am for 3 of us and I did it in Spanish! Small quaint town.  Spent the rest of the day by the pool.

Took our Chilean wine down the beach to a restaurant about a 5 minute walk.  This owner was determined to teach us Spanish.  We had to order and try and get by on our bad Spanish.  We had a great dinner. We all had fish except for Ken he had beef.  She served us very good garlic bread with pesto.  Kens beef was excellent and very tender.  We had no corkage fee here either.

Wednesday 3/17 �" Beautiful morning, no Howlers today.  Saw more parakeets flying over.  You could always hear them coming. Iguana’s around also.  I had the fruit plate this morning.

The horses showed up at 10:00am.

Room
  $5 per horse for about an hour ride down the beach, we were able to run the horse and go in the surf.  Rode to the end of the beach on the South side. The horses were not skinny and were taken care of.

Caught taxi to Carrillo Beach area.  Checked out the Guanacastle fishing resort.  It looked like they were in the middle of a major overhaul. Had lunch overlooking Carrillo beach.  What a beautiful beach, and only about 10 people enjoying it.  I walked the Palm treed lined beach and felt the soft sand & surf at my feet.  This was the prettiest Pacific Ocean beach I have ever seen.

We had dinner at our place on the beach again  at the Las Oras. We all had the wonderful steak this time. We appreciated the owner speaking Spanish and forcing us to learn.

Dinners were $7 each.

Thursday 3/18 -  I got up early again, decided to do power walking early on the beach.  On the way down the stairs saw the Howler monkeys up close again yelling.  It felt good power walking down the beach in the early morning.

Got back in time to have breakfast with everyone. This was going to be the last lazy day here.  Enjoyed the beach, pool and cervaza’s all day.

Booked a massage for 7:00pm in town.  Decided to try a new place on the beach for dinner.  A Caribbean place, I had chicken with curry and coconut sauce, rice and beans and a good Flan dessert.  Ken walked me to my appointment.  In the middle of town a shabby looking place.  Then she led me to her garden where she had a covered area with mobiles hanging, birds in cages, candle and incense burning and soft relaxing music playing.

She was recommended by 2 locals.  $20 for a hour!  A very good candle heated oil massage.  Her husband took me back to the Hotel.  I slept well that night.

Air strip