Near the Airport

Osa Travel Blog

Monday 3/22 �" Woke up at the crack on dawn again, it had rained hard last night.  We had to leave today. Took a hike on trails to the tropical garden.  Saw spider monkeys, howler monkeys and capuchin monkeys, toucans, scarlet macaws a large green parrot and others birds.  Sunny misty morning with sunlight streaming down through the trees to find the jungle ground.   What an incredible sight. Wanted to take everything in, I let my senses absorb all that they could so I wouldn’t forget this special place.

Everyone was waiting for me for breakfast.  I had wheat banana pancakes.  Time to pack. We all relaxed by the pool before lunch.  I chose chicken burrito again and Ken had Taco salad.  Time to go.  I knew we would return.

Our Sanza flight was only 20 minutes late.  Nice flight back to San Jose Airport.  Unexpected, Oscar was waiting for us to take us to Vista Del Valle.

25 min from the airport we arrived at Vista Del Valle plantation. There were Japanese style bungalows throughout the beautiful gardens, some overlooking a deep canyon and the Rio Grand River.  Our rooms were in the main house with a nice view of the pool and garden area, and full access to the huge deck and living room area.  Had a drink at the pool then dinner, Mahi Mahi.  Met the owner who was from Marin County.  This was a very nice place, however putting this place to stay at the end of the trip, and after seeing everything else my enthusiasm for the place was not there.  They were selling future condos and lots here. Condos were selling for $130,000 starting and lots starting at $65,000 for ½ acre.

Tuesday 3/23 -  Up at 6:00am, breakfast at 7:00.  Good traditional breakfast with beef in a red sauce and eggs.  Oscar was there to take us back to airport.  Got to airport 1 ½ before flight.  Payed our $26 tax each to get out of the country.  Did some shopping at the airport.  I bought some Guaro liquor for $5 a bottle.  Took off at 9:20am on time, and headed for Dallas.  Quick customs at Dallas, had bite to eat, then loaded plane for home.

Our great trip was over.  This was the best most adventurous trip I’ve ever taken. My mind was already spinning about when we could return and what parts of the Country we could see the next time.

Some thoughts:    Costa Rica is about the size of South Carolina.  People are very friendly and dress nice and care about their appearance.   Real estate more expensive than I thought.  More Americans living there than I thought.  Some roads were bad but not as bad as I had heard.  Some roads were very nice. Phone service to USA very expensive.  Even in high season you could go down there without reservations and find a decent place to stay.  A lot of families traveling with kids.  Renting a house for a week would be a cheaper way to go with another couple.  Government is a lot like ours.  Better than Mexico as far as infrastructure and less poverty.  Dim lighting in most places.   High tax 17% on hotels and restaurants.

Osa