Alajuela

Alajuela Travel Blog

Orquideaus Inn

Thursday 3/11 �" Beautiful sunny day. Took a peek outside to see we had a distant view of the mountains. The grounds were nice with many different flowers and plants.  Breakfast was served between 8 and 9am at the Marilyn Monroe bar in the open air brightly colored outdoor patio area near the pool. There was also a nice indoor reception area, a short trail through a garden and some caged parrots nearby I had heard people rave about the breakfast here and they were right! The buffet full breakfast was delicious! Some of the menu items were Rice & black beans, Plantains fried in a orange and cinnamon sauce, yellow potatoes w/ beef and garlic, yucca root and cheese breaded and fried, sausage, omelet (made to order), banana leave mesa, assorted fresh fruits including pineapple, papaya, watermelon, mango, oranges and the best wonderful spicy green sauce (Linzano) that complimented everything. For the $69 + tax I would stay here again, just bring ear plugs if you’re a light sleeper.

Our driver was on time to pick us up at 9:00am. I asked his name and when he said Oscar it was like I already knew him. I had heard so many great things about him on Fodor’s travel talk and couldn’t believe we were lucky enough to get him.  We were off for our 3 hour drive to Arenal in Oscar’s 2 year old van, with CD player, air conditioning and seatbelts.  Hit the Pan American highway at first 4 lane non divided highway, then turned off onto another 2 laned paved road.  Oscar could speak good English and drove very safe and slow.  Drove through some small towns and as we got higher in elevation on the newly paved winding road we lost the sun to fog and mist.  Green all around, coming out of the fog it was a more of a country side feel.  Crossing over small rivers and one lane bridges we saw different kinds of agriculture including coffee, yucca, mango, and hardwood tree orchards and fields. We drove into La Fortuna a small town with a town square area some shops. Oscar recommended Lava Rocks for lunch. We all had typical Costa Rican meal with rice, beans, salad and either fish, chicken or beef.  Very good food and large servings about $4.50 each. Also had a large foamy iced tea for $1.  425 colones to $1 US dollar.

Alajuela