Rutland, VT

Rutland Travel Blog

This morning, Jon and I walked from the hotel into downtown Rutland and met Josh, a former college roommate, along the way. His Maria dropped him off but had to return to NH for work that afternoon, and could not stay. In town we waited for the arrival of Mike, carrying with him a precious cargo of necessities and re-stock items for Josh and Jon's leg of the trip. After everyone convened by a farmer's market in town near the Walmart, Chinese Buffet and Cinema (three very crucial landmarks to us!), it took some time to figure out a plan of action. As Josh and Jon unloaded and began to re-pack their packs, Mike and I discussed our options whilst solving sudoku puzzles. We were drawn to the prospect of nearby food AND a matinee of the film 'Star Trek.' As we technically did have the time to experience the 2hr. masterpiece heralded 'best movie of the summer,' and the weather was looking ominous of rain and wind, we decided to do the 'right thing' by waiting it out in the theater and forgoing lunch to eat a large pop-corn, a box of Reese's Pieces candy and a 54oz. Coke as a group. Ah, the trail life. In case you have not yet seen the film, do so immediately, you will not regret it.
After this small detour back to our undergraduate years, Jon and Josh set off to finish their grocery shopping/meal planning and catch a bus back to the trailhead near Killington, while Mike drove me back to my car in Wallingford. I'll miss the trail and Jon very much, and though I wish I could continue on, I must head back to Albany to begin my Summer Graduate courses.
photo by: princeza_9