The Ruins by the Shannon River

Limerick Travel Blog

Limerick is home to 4 of my very good friends, non of who will talk about it. Limerick is a beautifully green, lush county with such character that words would do it no justice in description. The county of Limerick is located on Ireland’s southwest coast between Clare and Kerry. The county is bounded by the wide mouth of the Shannon estuary to the northwest, the high peaks of the Gal Tee Mountains to the southeast and Co. Kerry to the west.

The city is small, and many shops, banks etc still close for lunch, It is easy access to Shannon Airport, and boasts, coach links to the rest of Ireland and The United Kingdom. What I found fascinating was this old railway station that seems to still be in the 1900s or so. The bus service is very good, I loved the fact that they pulled right up my the station (well I do not like walking long distances from the train, my experience with Berlin was not so great). That an the fact that the distance from the train to the city is long.

The beautiful river Shannon is the base of the city creating such a calm and beautiful effect on the city. The river bank is a great place to take leisurely walks and leads to the country side: my fascination was more with the country side. We did not spend much time in the City because Peter was eager to share personal time with me and relive a time he had visited Limerick when he was much younger (interesting the same things he saw 30 years earlier were still there). The ruins by the reiver were so exciting to see and learn about. The villages are very beautiful with not much commercialization giving it a feel of nature and unspoiled, untouched nature. The fields green and the children very innocent.

Limerick