Tupiza

Tupiza Travel Blog

Tupiza is the Wild West of Bolivia.   It' s also the area Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid fled to and where they were killed in a shoutout with the police and local miners.
What do you do in the Wild West? Right:  horseriding.

I'm not a great horsewoman. My tactics are to make friends with the horse and then hope the horse will be good to me too.  It seemed to work. I had a nice grey, befitting my size and she went the direction and with the speed I wanted most of the time.  Despite my moderate horseriding skill I couldn't help feeling like a real cowgirl.  Surrounded by canyons and cactuses, blistering sun; a scene appearing in every western I've seen.  The whole ride went smooth until |I tried to get off the horse and  I dropped my camera. There was a dent in the lens cap. It was still working and it would stay that way for almost 6 months, then it died on me on my first day in China:-(

The last activity for the day was 18 km downhill by mountainbike. I hadn't been doing much sports lately and wasn't sure about participating.  Since it was only downhill I decided to give it a go anyway. "Only downhill" might sound like it's a piece of cake, but it sure wasn't.  The road consisting of sand and rocks made for a very bumpy ride. I tried to stay on the saddle at first, but a certain part of body became sore I had to stand on the pedals most of the time. I was very glad when I reached the hostel!

Tupiza