Sunrise, losing our way and the Friari Church

Venice Travel Blog

Sunrise over Venice
We started very early in the morning 6 AM to be exact because we wanted to see the sunrise over St. Mark's square. It was a nice sunrise, but I don't seem to get that excited about the sunrises because I used to see them all the time when I had to catch the school bus early in the morning. Saskatchewan is so flat it is easy to see nice sunrises all the time.

We went back to bed because we knew we were in for a long day. When we got up again at 9 AM we showered and went to get our free breakfast. It was nice to have a big buffet breakfast something we aren't used to in Europe where we usually have just a croissant and a coffee for breakfast.

We checked out and we were ready to go. We thought we might have made a mistake on our train ticket by not getting a sleeper car so we wanted to see if we could get a sleeping compartment.
Flo at the Rialto Bridge
We found out that we would have to go all the way to the train station to change our ticket. When we got to the ticket we found out that it would be another 100 Euro to get a sleeper. That is because they would only except half the value of our ticket as credit. So we decided that we would forget that and take our chances with our non sleeper car.

We both needed to go to the bathroom, so we decided to go to the Venice Casino. We had free entry into the Casino as part of our hotel stay. I can't believe a Casino would charge admission. Our first issue was finding the actual place. We didn't have a very good map since I forgot it at the hotel. So we ended up buying a map for 2.
Flo on a Traghetto
5 euro. After that we were able to find the Casino. The Casino had a strange check in procedure. They needed to take our ID and then take our picture. We also had to check our coat and daypack. Once we went through that they gave us a voucher for a free drink. After which we went to the bathroom we went to the cafe to get our free cafe au lait. We also played a little video roulette. We ended up losing 7.50 euro, but that didn't end up being too bad since we both got to go to the bathroom. I found out later that the public toilets cost 1.50 euro. We also decided that we would try to get rid of some of our small coins so we would play the slots. The slot machines wouldn't accept coins. It must be a place for high rollers only.

We found a grocery store after the casino.
Craig successfully navigating to Friari Church
We decided to buy some food in case we needed it on the train ride. I picked up an apple with my bare hand and I a stern talking to. I guess you are supposed to put on a nylon glove on prior to touching fruit. So I picked three apples, however when I got to the till I didn't have a tag so they could not ring it through. The grocery store we went to on the previous day the clerk was able to put through the produce on there own. In the end, we didn't buy the apples.

After the casino, I successfully navigated to the Friari church. That included a ride on a Traghetto. You get to cross the canal on a small boat for way less then a Gondola. It cost us 1 euro. The Friari Church was very interesting. Nice works by Titian, Donatello and Bellini. The interesting thing as well is that those works are where they are meant to be seen, in the churches where they were originally hung.
Good bye Rialto Bridge
Again we got through this church using our Rick Steves Podcast.

Venice has to be one of the most difficult cities to navigate. The best part about it is that you don't have to watch out for cars or motorcycles like Rome. However you can reach a lot of dead ends. Even if you have a good map it is quite easy to lose your way.

We decided to have our final meal in Venice at this place we found near St. Mark's square, but behind most of the buildings. We started with calamari, and we both had lasagna with veal. We finished with a special dessert, I'm not sure what it is called but it had chocolate, raisins and it was almost like a pudding. We finished off with two cappucinos. We got back to our hotel to pick up our bags and to check our email one final time.

When we checked our email I found I got a message from our B&B in Salzburg. She said that we would have instructions on the door of how to get the key for the front door. And once inside we would have instructions about our room. So even though we get in at 4 AM we were still able to not be stranded.

Our final trip in Venice was a slow vapretto ride back from St. Marks Square back to the train station. We say so long to our Italian leg on to Austria.

Flo on a Traghetto
Craig successfully navigating to F…
Craig successfully navigating to …
More sunrise