Old Vienna, Arms & Armour, tasty food, and the Opera

Vienna Travel Blog

Crown of the Holy Roman Empire
Our day started a little later. We first went to a cafe to get a Viennese style breakfast. We had two buns, ham & cheese, with a soft boiled egg and coffee with milk. We then separated as Flo wanted to shop and I wanted to see some sites.

My first stop was St. Stephen's cathedral. It is an interesting building from the outside. The front of the church had two towers that are apparently different shapes. One had a window in the shape of a penis and the other side in the shape of a vagina to represent creation. One side was getting restored, but the other side did have the right shape.

The inside of the building was nicely decorated. The most interesting piece was a sandstone pulpit. The rail had interesting carvings of lizards and toads on the rail. The stained glass at the back of the church was very nice however a lot of the really nice stain glass in the church was taken down during the war and replaced in the 50s with some less attractive Tupperware like stain glass.
Order of the Golden Fleece

I also took a trip to St. Peter's church. This church was highly recommended on Trip Advisor. This is a smaller church, but it is also very nice looking with frescos on the walls and ceilings.

I then made my way to the New Palace. On the way I saw a ceremony between Romania and Austria. I'm not sure what it was but there were many Austrian troops nearby.

At the new palace, there was the Arms & Armor museum along with the ancient musical instrument collection. This museum had an outstanding collection of knight armor. It is likely the best collection in the world because of the scope of the Hapsburg Empire. Armor was also something that changed during the renaissance. Pieces got more ornate and lighter. There was even costume armor. It is a great collection.
Schonnbrunn Palace

They also had some great swords and guns including a gun that is made out of ivory.

Flo and I met up again and we went to the Naschmarkt for lunch. I had a lamb sandwich\ pita and Flo had a chicken sandwich at this place that had the meat cooking on a large spit. This was one of our best deals in Europe 2,50 euro for a good size sandwich.

After the Naschmarkt, we went to have a little dessert. We went to a cake place recommended by our B & B. I had a mini Sacher Torte and Flo had a lemon pie. Both were outstanding. We then hopped on a subway to buy our bus ticket for the next day to Prague. After that we looked to buy an opera ticket but they weren't open yet so we went back to our hotel.

We had a brief nap at our hotel and then we decided to get standing room tickets for the Opera.
The gardens at Schonnbrunn
The show they were playing was Romeo and Julia. It was a ballet. We got our tickets 15 minutes before the show for 3 Euros each. We stayed for the first act until the intermission. It was a great deal for 3 euro.

Next we went to a cafe to have supper. We went to Cafe Maria which was very close to our hotel. Flo ordered Chicken Soup, and we both had a Wienerschintzel to share. Flo was surprised how much she liked Wienerschintzel. I enjoyed it too. We were sad that we wasted a meal at the Chinese place since the rest of the food we had in Vienna was so good. Oh well guess we will have to do better in Czech Republic.

Fountain at Schonnbrunn