Jet lague and arrival in London

London Travel Blog

In front of the Ritz
We arrived at about 6 AM and took the underground to Baker Street where we were supposed to drop off our bags at a friend's place. We tried to make a phone call but I didn't have any change. So I had to buy a Timeout London magazine, and use a 1 Pd coin to make a call that only hit voicemail.

We weren't able to meet up with him and our bags were getting heavy so we had to make other plans. We decided to go to St. Pancras station since I knew they had a place where we could leave our bags. While we were at St. Pancras I found out that the Rogers pay as you go phone was locked electronically meaning that we couldn't use another SIM card. I didn't check into that prior to going.

After we dropped off our bags at a cost of 8 quid each, we decided to follow our original plans and go to Piccadilly Circus to the British and London Tourist Information booth to pick up brochures and schedules for later.
Horse Guards
We ate at a small cafe where we had pita bread sandwiches and I had a cappuccino. We noted that eat in and take away rates were different. We decided to eat in because our feet were starting to hurt.

Our next stop at Green Park, we were going to join a London Walks tour of the Royal Parks and Westminster Abbey. The price was 16 pounds each. It's actually not a bad deal since getting into the Abbey already costs 10 pounds, and the audio guide would have been about 5 pounds each. We walked through Green Park, by Buckingham Palace and through St. James Park. It was interesting to hear stories about different royal families, and the context in which some places were built. We also got to see the horse guards riding down the Mall.

Westminster Abbey is huge and complex.
Fusilier in front of St. James Palace I believe
It is an amazing site. The coronation of many Kings & Queen’s has taken place in Westminster Abbey. There are also many people buried in the abbey. Monarchs, artists, scientists and famous poets have all been buried in the Abbey.

After the Westminster Abbey walk, we were tired but we knew we had to stay up. We went to Borough Market, to get groceries and to get something to eat. We found a place called Southwark Tavern. They had a deal where you could get a drink and a sandwich for 5 pounds each. So I had a beer and a sausage sandwich. The beer here is great.

We bought foccacia bread, fruits, cheese and salami at the Bourough Market. Great sandwich material for the next few days.

It was 4 PM, we were able to check in to our hotel without any penalties. So we went to St. Pancras again to get our bags. We also printed off our tickets for the Eurostar tunnel ride on Tuesday.

We got to our hotel, we unpacked, showered and crashed hard. By 6 PM we were in bed. We woke up at 11 PM, but we decided we were still tired enough to keep sleeping. We went back to bed and got up at 4 AM. Day 2 here we come.

Horse Guards
Fusilier in front of St. James Pal…
Fusilier in front of St. James Pa…
In front of the crocuses in St. Ja…
In front of the crocuses in St. J…
Westminister Abbey