Changing of the Guard, National Gallery, Evensong at St. Paul's, Les Mis

London Travel Blog

Craig eating English Breakfast
This was an over stimulating day. Our first stop was for breakfast. We wanted to get a fry up , so we went to Weatherspoons to get our traditional English pub breakfast. We then went to Leiceister square to get half price tickets to a musical. We decided on Les Miserables since Flo hasn't seen it yet.

After we picked up our tickets, we walked down the Mall to see the changing of the guard. We stood at the Victoria monument and watched the new guard come in and watched as the old one left. We then took a walk back to Trafalgar square to visit the National Gallery. This is a fantastic gallery. It is great to start at the 13th century art and follow it's progression through to the 19th Century. The gallery is organized by country and time period so you can notice the difference between what was being done in Italy and what was being painted in the Netherlands.
Changing of the Guard
You can see how artists may have influenced each other. It was a good start for the art we will see on the rest of our trip.

We decided to split up because I wanted to spend more time in the gallery. Flo wanted to shop. She got a little lost without me and took 45 minutes to get back to the hotel. I guess she needed her navigator.

After a brief rest, we went to St. Paul's Cathedral for the evensong service at 5 PM. A service Flo claims I needed. There was choral singing which sounds very haunting in a church that big and that has a tremendous echo.

After church we went to Piccadilly Circus, to meet our friend for supper. We went to a Chinese restaurant prior to going to Les Miserable. We had great seats. We were in the front row of the Dress Circle (first balcony). It was like a movie playing in front of our eyes. It was a great show to see in London.

What a crazy four days in London. Even though it's a little expensive it is a great place and I would love to go back.

English Breakfast