The Hoover Dam

Nevada Travel Blog

During my vacation to Las Vegas, my family and I took some time out on the city that never sleeps to do some educational exploring.  We made a trip to the Hoover Dam.  I am pretty much up for seeing anything.  I was amased at how detailed everything was.  While walking across the top of the Dam we walked from the Arizona side to the Nevada side.  There are two intake towers off the main part of the Dam.  Each tower reveils a clock giving the time in each state.  Looking towards the back of the Dam you will see the beautiful safire blue color of Lake Mead.  The view is so captivating and time stopping.  I could have stood at the center of the Dam for hours.  On the Nevada side of the Dam is the gift shop.  On the side walk by the gift shop is what I would call a tribute memorial.  There are plaque explaining the history of the Dam.  There are also tribute signs, engravings of each state that participated in the building of the Dam and a two statues on each side of the american flag and plaque stating:

"It is fitting that the flag of our country should fly here in honor of those men who, inspired by a vision of lonely lands made fruitful, conceived this great work and of those others whose genius and labor made the vision a reality."

A little history:

The Hoover Dam is located on the border between Arizona and Nevada.  It was completed in 1936.  The Dam is divided by the Colorado River and Lake Mead.  The Dam was also named after Herbert Hoover who was first the Secretary of Commerce and then became President of the United States.  Construction of the Dam took five years, from 1931 to 1936.