Navarino Square and the military cemetery

Thessaloniki Travel Blog

Peter arranged with Paulos to take us to the World War I cemetery where they buried soldiers of the French, Serbian, English, Russian and Italian military who fought on the front of Thessaloniki. The cemetery is a focal point for tourists and bears such a grim history of the pains of war. If memory serves me right a little over twenty thousand soldiers are buried at this cemetery.

When in London and Berlin the previous year, one of our travel colleagues Yani Jeiranis had invited us to visit Greece and spoke highly of his home town of Thessaloniki: he had promised that if we ever made it, we would not want to leave because of the beauty and hospitality of his town. I must say he was right, nothing compares to the beauty of this place. But when we arrived in Thessaloniki, we did not contact Yanis because he was out of the country attending a fair I think it was Tokyo. So Paulos who was Peter's buddy took time off to be our tour guide.

Thessaloniki is an ancient Greek town with old archeological structures that are now just preserved for tourism: the mixture of the old and new make for such a sight to see. What is interesting is that Thessaloniki is like Amsterdam with Churches at every corner you turn. Peter who is an architect was swelling up in pride looking at architectural buildings dating back to the Empire of the Byzantine, he took us to St. Demetrios Church one of Thessaloiki's oldest and most famous church because it was built in honor of Thessaloniki's patron saint Demetrios. Peter seemed to know a little more than he should so I was playing catch-up. Paulos took us to the Navarino Square the location of the Roman Palace of Galerios (all that remains are the ruins of the once powerful palace) and then to the Roman Market (there are organized tours to this Square scheduled almost every day).