The Historical Capital of Europe

Athens Travel Blog

Peter and I arrived at Hellinikon airport now known as the Eleftheros Venizelos Athens International Airport serving the Olympic city in Athens at 14:20 hrs aboard a Lufthansa flight. I have not returned to Greece since I hear the new airport is quite something. Anyway on arrival Paulos had someone waiting with our names on a huge sign, smiling like a child who has just received candy or seen its mother after a long wait. We were taken straight to our hotel “the Intercontinental".

We stayed in Athens for two days spending the first one worth Peter's business associates and dinning at our hotel. The second day, we toured Athens and I was particularly taken aback by the fog in the city: Peter commented on what he called "unimpressive architecture" concluding he had seen better; Peter is an architect. We visited the Acropolis a source of attraction for tourists from all over the world. My girlfriend Jessica says she has Athens on her "bucket list"

Athens is the largest city in Greece and also the capital city, but what makes Athens the dream destination of many travelers, is the fact that is it among the world’s oldest cities. Ancient monuments are some of the highlights of Athens’ tourism. You have heard of the Parthenon even if you have never been to Greece. Athens also calls two UNESCO heritage sites home; the Acropolis and the Daphni monastery which I’m yet to visit. Because it is also known as the historical capital of Europe, it is a destination one does not want to miss especially if one lives in Europe.

This is a big city; with a population of nearly 4 million residents, it is huge metropolitan city with a history of the festival of arts. Athens hosts an annual festival of art that I have long wanted to attend. The Hellenic Art galleries associated hosted the first art festival in 1993, I was still a student at the University, but I remember wishing I could be there. Our International Relations & Law department, kept updates of what was going on around the world, part of which included the cultural relations.

Peter took me to Plaka; the winding stairways and pathways. There is nothing like it anywhere else in Europe. The walls of the buildings look like they took them out of an ancient movie set. If I’m to describe them properly, I would need to speak and write in olden Victorian English or even much further. I did not appreciate what I was seeing then, but looking back now, I wish I had snapped as many shots as I do in the current digital world. Of course then I was still developing films and printing copies. I did not get my first digital camera until a few years after visiting Athens.

PS: “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” Mark Twain

photo by: Johnpro