Chicago Travel Blog

So I have had it in my mind to go to Peru, Machu Picchu for the last year or so.  Couldn't originally find anyone to go with me, but wasn't averse to going it alone.  I finally convinced a friend to go, but then she backed out last minute.  Then I found another friend to go in January with the plan to purchase tickets by beginning of February, that has now turned into March still with no finalized plans.  The original plan included a hike on the classic inca trail (but with a limit of 500 permits per day) that option seems unlikely at this juncture.  Piece of advice~ if you want to hike the actual inca trail- book your trips early in advance!!!  Now our current option is the Moonstone to Sun Temple trek with  has anyone used that company? or have been on that alternate route?  any opinions on whether not arriving through the sungate is a missed opportunity vs. arriving via the train from aguas calientes?

Hopefully next time I post, we'll have a plan.  Although the trip sounds nice, less crowded with less tourists on the alternate trail.

photo by: mahoney