Yes, I kissed the Detroit Airport floor.

Detroit Travel Blog

When this trip was over, and I landed in Detroit to catch my connecting flight to Washington, DC, I had never been happier to be in Michigan.  My immediate rehash of the trip left me with a bitter taste in my mouth.  So many things had gone wrong, despite the best laid plans of mice and men.  I was still missing my boots, my cell phone, all my pictures, the postcards people wouldn't be getting, my credit cards and my backpack.  I didn't have a dime to my name to get me from the airport in DC to my home in Fairfax, Virginia.  I was hungry.  My roommates couldn't pick me up (but did offer to pay the cabbie if I had to cab it home) and I didn't know my mom's phone number off the top of my head.

I called my father in Wisconsin (collect) and cried over my spilled milk.  He got ahold of my  mother to pick me up in DC, so at least that was solved, but I was still pissy, but at least I was stateside.

Now, 5 years later, looking back, it was an amazing trip and really has made for some of my best stories.  My girlfriends and I still get a laugh out of it and if we need cheering up, we just recall Theresa grabbing the American by the collar, throwing him out a door and saying, "If I'm not getting laid, no one's getting laid!"

Moral of the story:  Yeah, somethings may seem like they really suck, but if you're alive, breathing, still have the body parts you started with, then consider it a good trip.  For us, the little things were adding up to one big bad problem, but you really can't sweat the small stuff.  Enjoy them, and know that you came back with a story that no one else can stake claim to. many cliches can I throw in one story...apparently a lot!  So much for priding myself on originality!

photo by: vulindlela