Sleep...sleep...

Ilishan Travel Blog

This mornig I mysteriously awoke at 5:30. I don't know what caused it. As a general rule, I'm a great sleeper. The more I can sleep the happier I am. If I could just find someone to pay me to sleep it'd be the best job ever. But I digress.

As I lay there, with a headache (hmmm, maybe that's why I woke up...) the more I tried to concentrate on sleeping the more I kept thinking about my headache. And the more I thought about my headache, the more I realized...this is getting boring. Being here I mean. I've crossed into the mode where I'm just counting down the days. It's really too hot to be out and about during the daytime much. And I've finished the book I brought along (John Grisham's, "The Appeal" which I highly recommend you spare yourself the time and money and avoid altogether). I'm nearly done with the movies I brought. So what to do? Unfortunately the only thing I could come up with was the more negative side of things. What is wrong with my current situation. And being in bed, that's where I began my critique.

My bed is so small. It's probably a normal width for a Nigerian double or something. Too big to be a twin, too small to be a queen or king. But not really the size of a double in the US. The really irksome part is the length. I struggle enough with the at home, but here - it's just so gosh darn short. Then it occurs to me that the average West African I've come into contact with appears to be about 5'4" to 5' 10". So this bed would be great for them. Acres of space if that's all the more you need.

But it's hard, too. I don't mind hard beds as a rule. In fact I think my back does better with them. But this one is somewhat like a board wrapped in foam. Thin foam. A layer of bubble wrap would add a delightful egg crate effect. But all I've got is this thin foam. The first few nights are ok, but after that....

I roll over and stretch out on my stomach. Turns out this makes the whole size thing worse. If I lay on my stomach, then my legs are straight out, because I'm not a frog. And this means my feet naturally have to be extended which only increases my total length, putting both my feet off the end of the bed. So back to my back.

Now I'm lying catacorner on my foam board thinking, "this is wrong - why me? Why?" When it occurs to me that I have some Motrin in the drawer of the nightstand next to my bed. And a bottle of water. Perhaps if I swallow the two together, as large pharmaceutical corporations designed, my headache will dissipate and I can finally get back to being grateful for a bed, in a room, out of the rain with A/C.

So I did just that, and 20 minutes later I was contentedly slumbering again. Gratefully.

Ilishan