A Long Layover

Frankfurt am Main Travel Blog

We arrived in Frankfurt at approximately 5:30am.  A convenient Lufthansa Senator's Club was located directly next to our gate so we stopped in and had a decent breakfast.  I also grabbed a shower.  Again - frequent flier status really makes travel MUCH better.

I took an hour to find the train station adjacent to FRA and double-check that I had everything in line for my return trip in March.  I'd never connected to the train there and didn't want to have things all mixed up, but everything seems quite easy.  FRA really is a great airport I think.  There's tons of shopping and everything is well marked.  A few of the connection/access points seem a bit convoluted, but compared to many other places, it's a breeze.  The only thing that surprised me was the lines for security.  They had a rather small space for the queue, but thanks to German organization things did move right along.  It only took about 30 minutes to get through security.

Our flight left at 11:30, so for the remaining six hours of the layover I enjoyed another Senator's Club and the snacks they constantly replenish.  I can't begin to imagine how much food  and drink they must go through in one of those clubs.  There was a constant line of travellers filling up - myself included.   New since the last time I was there was a pasta bar with a chef making fresh/hot pasta dishes.  Really good!

Our flight left out of gate B54 and it was like a cattle call.  Despite the effort of the gate personnel to instill some decorum, everyone just pushed their way onboard.  So, not wanting to be the last onboard, I pushed along with the rest and settled into my economy seat I would call home for the next 6+ hours.

A pleasant surprise was the new on-demand entertainment system installed in Lufthansa's economy section.  Touch screen controls with about 16-20 films, and 10 or 12 different TV programs.  Between that and my book, I was set.  The flight was quite full so there wasn't an option of grabbing several seats in the middle as I'd hoped, but it's a relatively short flight, so no biggie.

Two TV shows and a movie later and we landed in Lagos.  We breezed through customs and made our way to a waiting van which took us to Ilishan-Remo.