5 more days...

Kelowna Travel Blog

Well it's getting down to the wire now.... only five more days until I get on that plane! I have done a lot more preparation for this trip than in the past. From what I have read, South America isn't all that safe for a single female travelling alone with a large quantity of expensive photo equipment! Yeah I am getting nervous but I am making sure everything is insured before I leave so if I do have to surrender my most precious possesions to armed bandits then I GUESS I won't be too devistated... OK yes I will but I suppose there must be a camera shop or two somewhere down there.

My very loose plan is to fly from Lima directly to Iquitos (I get to Lima at 10:30pm and must get on the next flight to Iquitos at 5:30am, which means a lovely night of sitting in the airport doing nothing) as I have already booked a 5 day excursion into the rain forest.

Ceiba Tops Lodge

I chose http://www.explorama.com/ctresort.htm for my tour and will be staying at Ceiba Tops. It looks like a nice enough place - pool, hot tub and bar in the middle of the jungle. OK it's considered a luxury resort. Yeah yeah... I am a wimp and if I don't have to sleep in an open hut in the forest for all of the spiders to crawl on me then that's where I go!
They take you see Monkey Island, walk along the world's longest canopy walkway up in the trees, bird and dolphin watching, a visit to the "ReNuPeRu" Ethnobotanical Garden where medicinal plants are researched and also a trip to visit a village of Yagoa indians. All in all, I think it will be a good place to get my bearings as to what direction my trip will head. I am thinking of spending a week in Iquitos afterwards and see if I can volunteer at the Amazonian Humane Society...

Thats about as far as I have planned. I may go up to Equador after that to see a friend since I will be in the north already. I know I want to see Machu Picchu at some point. Yep this trip is going to be a true adventure since I have no idea what I am doing. Throw the fact that I dont know any Spanish into the mix and it should make for some good tales!

Well thats all for now. I will update in Peru when I can!

Isoinspira says:
I'm so envious of your trip!! It sounds incredible:) SA is one of the few places in the world that has so much untouched and rugged beauty! Enjoy!!
Posted on: Apr 09, 2007
ulysses says:
hey i'm so jealous... i miss south america already :)

don't worry about dangers & crimes - it's not nearly as bad as people say... just don't act stupid and the risk is low... have fun and believe me: do not worry, it will only spoil your experience a bit :)

Posted on: Mar 28, 2007
wickedlady says:
thanks for the encouragement AirlineAgent. sometimes it seems that to be a man would be so much easier - but I couldnt deal with all that body hair! I envy your trip to Galapagos and wish you a wonderful trip!
Posted on: Mar 27, 2007