General impressions of Bahrain

Bahrain Travel Blog

My hosts' garden
I guess one of the things that surprised me most was how many flowers there were. Of course, I had come in Spring, which made a difference.  I'm told that the aquifer and desalinisation water is plentiful enough to support the plants - they are watered with slightly salty water so as long as you only get the roots then its fine. of course, if you do get water on the leaves then the plants are salt-burned.  In the photos you might notice that some of the palm trees' leaves are bound up as well - this is to let the roots bed in properly when they are planted on new highways.

The other thing was the sheer volume of construction - there are cranes everywhere. I don't now how the global crisis will affect this, and I know people are worried about the effect on ea life already, especially for the new land where sand is dredged up, changing the currents.  But then to survive, the island needs to attract businesses in, and that takes flashy towers.  I guess I'll just have to go back and see!
Lord_Mike says:
Bahrain was a very pretty place...but interesting to know about the vegetation!
Posted on: Apr 09, 2009
sarahelaine says:
I had a great trip - I haven't quite finished the blog yet though. You definately have to go to the restaurant I went to near the airport!
Posted on: Apr 07, 2009
boxinbcn says:
This is interesting reading for me, as it may be my next destination when the project in Poland is complete. :)
Posted on: Apr 07, 2009