A Busy day, and the Sport of Kings

Al Manamah Travel Blog

Bagpipe band
I'll fill this in properly when I get time, but I wanted to get a quick note scribbled so I could get the blog up onto Facebook.

Today, we went to the Corniche, which is sort of the seafront in Manama.  We were looking for a bloke who sometimes does tourist rides for camels, which I would have quite liked to do.  I mean, everyone was going to ask if I'd had a camel ride when I go tback.  It would have been nice to say yes.  But there was no camel man there, so we went to the Horse Racing instead.

The horse racing was great.  I used to be a barmaid at Musselburgh Racecourse, but of course, racing is different in a country where you don't drink or gamble. There were a lot more families there, for a start, and the atmosphere was much more laid back.
the crowd
  There was a bagpipe band there, which I wasn't expecting.  Obviously, Bahrain had held on to expertise in Bagpipes when they got their independence - They even placed Concierto D'Aranjuaz, whihc was originally scored for classic guitar rather than bagpipe and brass band, but seemed to work anyway!  The King and Royal Family were there to give prizes.  Easily the most exciting race was the third one, which was for Arab Horses bred abroad, and where it was only won right at the last moment.  The crowd went absolutely wild.

After that we went to Al Abraaj, a restaurant near the airport.  The food was excellent, and w ehad a booth to ourselves.  Apparently this is so that women who wear Abayas can take them off without the waiters seeing them without them, and aso means that you have a private booth, which was lovely.  The restaurant is absolutely beautiful, and you should definately go if you find yourselves in Bahrain Airport on a layover or something.  I also finally got to try Bahraini food, which in this case was a Pilaf-like dish called Machboos.  I really recommend it.

After a bit of a row about whether I was allowed my carpet on the airplane, I set off home.  I've decided a week was far too short...
View from the corniche