Alaska Airlines Plane Pull

Seattle Travel Blog

Me and Russell Wilson

A couple of weeks ago, I posted a comment to something Alaska Airlines put on their Facebook page. It said that Russell Wilson (Seahawks quarterback) and Joel McHale (UW Alumni, co-star on TV show Community, and comedian host of The Soup) were going to compete to pull a Boeing 737 airplane to raise money to stop childhood cancer. The next day, I was contact by Alaska Airlines saying that I was one of the winners of the contest. What contest? Well, I was one of 18 lucky people picked from the Facebook comments to be on one of the teams to pull the plane. Say what? I didn't even know I had entered something! I was to be on Team Joel and details would come in my email.

Over the past two weeks, I kept thinking about pulling a huge plane 25 feet....one that weighs 90 ton....then just shake my head and laugh to myself. I even had a silly dream about it.

Today was the day. I got to the parking lot for shuttle pickup at 7am.

Team Joel
I am NOT a morning person! Once at the location, which was the Museum of Flight, we were given t-shirts and sunglasses. The shirts for Team Joel were gray and the shirts for Team Russell were blue. Then, it was waiting around for two hours, mostly standing on the tarmac, with the occassional photo of the team. Around 8:45, Joel and Russell walked out to our location. Russell is much smaller than he looks when he's wearing all that football gear. Joel is really funny...I bet he was the class clown in school! He's also from Mercer Island...a suburb of Seattle.

After taking photos with both of the stars, Team Joel was first to pull the plane. OMG, it was so hard! Even with 18 of us, plus Joel, it wasn't budging! So, Russell and his team came over to help. When it was Team Russell's turn to pull the plane, they did it with so much ease, we knew a trick had been played on us....the captain of the plane, who was inside the cockpit, had the brakes on for us as a joke on Joel. We did get another try and this time, it was pretty easy to pull it....and we even beat Russell's time.

vances says:
How fun!
Posted on: Aug 06, 2015
Me and Joel McHale
Me and Joel McHale
Can you pull a 90 ton plane?
Seattle