First Stop, New Haven Train Station and Pepe's Pizzaria

New Haven Travel Blog

Pepe's Pizzaria on Wooster Street
Lee and Emily came in to Connecticut on the Metro North train from Grand Central Station in NY.   My girlfriend  Dawn and I met them at the New Haven train station, a little after noon. We loaded their bags in the back of the truck, and headed out.  They had traveled 2 hours by train, and we had 2 and a half more on the road, so we decided to get lunch first.   Emily, from Philadelphia, had never had the chance to try New Haven Pizza before, so we decided to bring her to Pepe's Pizza on Wooster Street.   Wooster street is the home to both Pepe's and Sally's Pizzarias, which are reputed to be among the best pizza's in the World.  I haven't been to the whole world yet, but Pepe's is still at the top of my list!  ( Frank Sinatra, whenever he was in New York, would send his driver all the way to New Haven to get a couple of pizza pies from Pepe's...almost 5 hours round trip--and New York has some pretty good pizza! )   As usual, there was a line going out the door, and we had to wait about a half hour before we got a seat.  It was well worth it!  We got a giant pie for the four of us, but it didn't last long.  No leftovers today!  Beer, friends and pizza, on a sunny Friday afternoon in New Haven...sure beats work!   After lunch was history, we punched the address of our hotel into the Garmin Streetpilot Navigation System, and we were on our way!
WaltJake says:
ok, fixed!
Posted on: May 30, 2007
Leebidoday says:
Just one nitpicky factual inaccuracy: we actually took the Metro North commuter rail from NYC to New Haven. MUCH cheaper, and only takes a little more time.
Posted on: May 30, 2007
Aditu says:
We ate there last year when we were in New Haven for a concert. I had no idea that it was famous but damn that was some good grub!
Posted on: Mar 29, 2007