Tuzigoot National Monument
Turigoot National Monument Travel Blog› entry 1 of 1 › view all entries
Tuzigoot Pueblo is located atop a rocky steep sided desert hill. From the top of the Tuzigoot Pueblo it is easy to see that this is a perfect defensive position with a 360 degree vista that would permit early detection of any intruders. Tuzigoot is an ancient pueblo built by individuals of the Sinagua culture. The pueblo is composed of at least 110 rooms. Some portions of this structure are three floors. construction began prior to 1000 AD. This Sinagua pueblo was primarily made up of farmers. However, they did develope a trade network that covered at least 10,000 square miles. Tuzigoot was abandoned shortly after 1400 AD. The achaeological site is thought to cover 42 acres. Addition excavation may expand the boundaries of Tuzigoot. This area is currently arid and was so when Tuzigoot was first being built. Currently the rainfall rarely exceeds 12 inches of rainfall
each year. There are several perennial streams that flow through the Verde Valley below the Tuzigoot pueblo. These streams creat a lush riparian environment of cottonwoods. These stream have created the largest marsh (Tavasci Marsh) in the state of Arizona. Tavasci Marsh totals 324-acres. This marsh was the main reason for locating Tuzigoot Pueblo. Their is evidence of an extensive channalized irrigation system. This marsh offered numerous useful plant materials for food, weaving cloth and baskets and making tools. This marsh also supported numerous species of mamals and amphibians that contributed to the food stores of Tuzigoot Pueblo. Tavasci Marsh has been named an Important Bird
Area by the National Audubon Society. It supports one of the most
diverse bird gatherings in Arizona. There are several on the “Species of
Conservation Status” list. They are the Least Bittern, Yuma Clapper Rail, Common Black-Hawk and Bald Eagle.
There is a site museum with exhibits depicting the life style of the Sinaguan Indians. There are numerous artifacts displayed. The park has created two 1/4 mile long hiking trails; the Ruin Loop and the Tavasci Marsh Overlook. The visitor center and the Tavasci Marsh Overlook trail are wheelchair accessible. However the Ruin Loop is far too chalenging for wheelchairs and baby strollersl.
Open From Labor Day through Memorial Day 8 AM to 5 PM
The park is closed on Christmas Day.
Adults (16 and over): $5.00 (good for seven days) Children (under 16): FREE