A place for girlfriends too

Mahe Travel Blog

I met a gentler heart on a flight to Italy and we spent 3 hours in Malpensa Airport. We talked about everything and anything that was related to travel and I found out that her passion was spending time on the beach and watching waves. Rosalina was born in the small town of Sorrento in Italy, a beautiful breath-taking place. I will write about Sorrento in another blog. Back to Malpensa Rosalina and I forged a bond that has lasted 11 years now and we made an appointment with time - time to visit the beaches of Seychelles that she had dreamed of for many years. A year later, I called Rosalina and invited her to visit me in Uganda: I was working for a travel agency so I had all the right things lined up to where she did not have to pay for her trip. We visited with my family and friend in Kampala before I surprised Rosalina with tickets to the Seychelles (pronounced: say-shells).

The Seychelles is an Island nation well known for one of the most breathtaking and awe inspiring place on the face of the earth called Anse Source d'Argent on the island of La Digue. You have never seen a beach so beautiful with silky white sands and blue waters. Many tourists do not know of this place and it is probably not the most advertised beach in tourism. The Seychelles is a republic nation and is part of a chain of islands in the Indian Ocean that up until about two hundred and fifty years ago was completely uninhabited except for the occasional pirate activity.

The Seychelles is a French colony where Creole is the national language. It was colonized in the 1700s and later colonized by the British before it got it‘s independence in 1964. As of 2003 when I visited the Island, the Seychelles had a population of approximately 80,000 people with an economy that thrives on tourism mainly from Europe. Seychelles is a very expensive destination, one needs to plan a trip there and save enough spending money, nothing is cheap and I mean NOT cheap, affordable if you have more than avergage spending money.

Visas can be got on arrival at the airport. Hotels and accommodations on the Island are all 3 star and above. The 3 star hotels feel like 5 stars in countries like mine. They have a national airline called Air Seychelles. The Island is well known for honeymoon vacations and bosts of islands like Praslin, La Digue, Mahe, Coco De Mahr . . .

Well Rosalina and I did not go on a honeymoon (he-he!), I like men that is how it’s always been (smile), we stayed  3 nights in Mahe' then went to La Digue and then to Praslin where we stayed at the Coco De mer.  I would go to Mahe' again, but  Praslin is the place you want to be when in the Seychelles. Rosalina and I spent hours on the beach, on one afternoon we took a picnic lunch and watched waves and cruises from a distance, we read about the Coco de Mehr nuts and eventually went to the market to buy one. The coco de mehr which is the island's national fruit is well know to be an afrodisiac for men, it is from the Palm family and popular to the Island of Praslin. It takes almost 9 years before one germinates and is popularly known as the sea coconut or the Seychelles nut: o' they are very expensive by the way. I saw a few of them when I was in the Maldives. In one of the books that Rosalina and I read, it was written that the sailors from Maldives thought the coco de mehr nuts were butts from women's bodies that had been dismembered, he-he!

Africancrab says:
I think both are great places if you can afford. I think whichever you choose you will have an absolutely beautiful honeymoon. I did love the Seychelles and the Maldives more.
Posted on: Sep 08, 2011
samreen269 says:
wow... amazin review.. i'm confused bwetween 2 places for my honeymoon.. seychelles n mauritius.. wat wud u suggest...
Posted on: Aug 26, 2011
Lord_Mike says:
Nice review...makes me want to go there!
Posted on: Feb 25, 2009