No time to waste

Bangkok Travel Blog

Restaraunt
Amazingly, the AirAsia flight to Bangkok arrived early (must have been either some good tail wind, or the pilot wanted to make it home for dinner on time).  Good for us, as from the airport we headed straight to a restaraunt by the water.  After some delicious Thai seafood cuisine, we went to Vertigo, the open roof sky bar.  This is one of my favorite places to hang out in the city, there is nothing like being high above everyone and looking down and seeing no end to the buildings around you.  Only then it becomes easier to understand how the city can house 10+million people.  Everyone had their share of drinks and once the group was warmed up we then went to Q-Bar.
View of Bangkok from Vertigo
  Funny thing is the Taxi driver had no clue where the place was, but luckily my clubbing sense was on high alert and I spotted the sign "Q-Bar" in the corner of my eye as we were making a turn.  Stayed there till the place closed down (which by BKK standards, it is already at 1:30am unfortunately).  We thought about staying out longer and looking for "underground" places, but the group consensus was that we had to wake up early the next day, so let's leave the late-night clubbing for tomorrow.

In the morning it was off exploring the famous weekend market - Chatuchak.  Where everything is cheap, but at the end your buy so much that you spend a fortune!!  Good fun nonetheless.  If you are the type to be overwhelmed by crowds and heat, then this is not the place for you.
The Grand Palace
  At night we attended the Siam Niramit show, a cultural play about  Thailands history & beliefs.  An amazing performance.  There were elephants, acrobats, fire, rain, and everything else that they can think of to show off the wonderful and rich culture of the people. Then what to do after such a busy day?  - go drinking of course!  First, we checked out Soi Cowboy, but did not go into any shows.  Then we went to Club 87 at the Conrad Hotel, when that closed down, we headed to the Tunnel, and spent exactly 45 seconds there until that place too closed down - then finally we were left with no choice but to have the taxi take us to an underground place.  We managed to grab a drink just as the police came to shut the place down!

The last day was spent doing some more cultural explorations.  We visited the Grand Palace & then later took a boat ride thru the city.

Fun times in Bangkok, and for me at least - this won't be the last time ;)
Vertigo Sky Bar
Vertigo Sky Bar
here i come...
here i come...
Thai donuts for breakfast
Thai donuts for breakfast
Admission to Grand Palace
Admission to Grand Palace
Performer at the Siam Niramit show.
Performer at the Siam Niramit show.
Fried noodles - this stuff is good!
Fried noodles - this stuff is good!
Street vendor selling crafty stuff
Chatuchak weekend market
Soi Cowboy
Soi Cowboy
Bangkok General Tips & Advice review
Thailand customs sucks! They are horrendous and they are slow. Perhaps the only country beating them at this is Indonesia. You would think that aft… read entire review
Bangkok Hotels & Accommodations review
I discovered a hidden gem in Bangkok! The first time I visited the city, I didn't know where to stay, all I knew was that I wanted something decent, … read entire review