Stratford-Upon-Avon

Stratford-upon-Avon Travel Blog

Also known as SHAKESPEARE-TOWN. This place is seriously all about the bard, to the extent that my friend and I couldn't help but get a bit excited when we saw a big blue sign advertising "Shakespeare's grave! Here, now, OPEN!" Sort of morbid but amusing at the same time. It's a pretty place though, and walking around is pleasant. We were tempted to go into the "brass rubbing" centre, just to see what it was all about, but after giggling outside for an interminable period became too embarrased and ran away instead. I know, lily-livered cowards!

Anything and everything related to Shakespeare is here, and the town has taken painstaking care to preserve it's Tudor buildings. The many gardens dotted around are a delight to see, especially the free (!) gardens next to Nash's Place - we spent a while just wandering around to all the statues trying to guess which Shakespearan work it represented.

I hadn't realised just how many works the Bard had written, but it is astounding the amount of material he churned out, and how loads of it is so famous.

The Avon River did not look the cleanest, and trekking along next to it ensured us of muddy shoes and jeans, but still it was nice to walk along next to the river and imagine the people of old who did the same. Lots of swans, look out for the poop.

Altogether a well-spent day trip out of London, would've capped it all off to actually catch a play with the Royal Shakespeare Company (the RSC - symbols branded all over the town), but alas, it was not to be!

Stratford-upon-Avon