Mardi Gras day!

New Orleans Travel Blog

The zulu parade
Alright things were fun the previous day, but they were going to get even funnier the next day.

I woke up at 9:30 AM and went out on the streets at 10. It seems that it was the perfect time since "Zulu" (the first parade) had just begun. Here's when the good times really started! I never thought catching beads would be so much fun. It's impossible not to share everybody's mood down there. You see politicians, ladies with salon haircuts and basically everybody fighting over them beads. It's hilarious! I was lucky as I really got to catch some fancy ones.

The first parade was over and then it was time for Rex -The king of Mardi Gras- to make his apparition. Well, this wasted monarch gave a mock speech on what a great time he had had during the festival -specially with some local girls last night- and basically just instructed all his "subjects" to have all the fun they could have! And what else could he instruct, honestly! Then everybody shouted "Hail Rex!!!"

I got some of the nicest beads during the Rex parade.
Rex the monarch of Mardi Gras
I got some golden coins as well... sweet!

The next parade was probably the most fun of them all. People was a lot more drunk by now and there were a few incidents with the police. Some of the cars were throwing teddy bears and all sorts of toys to the audience. I got quite a few of those! Then a girl in one of the cars pointed at me... I wasn't sure if it was me and she said: "Yeah you!", then I asked what did she want and she instructed me to lift up my shirt lol. I thought "what the heck" and just did it. I got some of the nicest beads that way! The guy next to me thought it was hilarious and laughed his butt off... "I said: man you gotta do somthin' to get 'em beads!!"

I really was too tired of collecting beads by then and I just went back to Bourbon to have a beer before things got too wild again.
That's what I call a Habano!
I had the chance to hang out with some wasted people like the girl in my picture. What's nice about all this is that people talk to you like they know you for years!

Anyway, it was about time to go back home so I went back to my car... I had a hard time driving back to the interstate, but hell!! I really don't regret having been here!! Like I said I had fun like a dwarf in this decadent city! There's no place like New Orleans, I can tell u that!
Rex the monarch of Mardi Gras
Thats what I call a Habano!
That's what I call a Habano!
Me with some more beads!