more on Hong Kong

Hong Kong Travel Blog

Alright, so for those who don't know, I work for Cisco shooting videos of execs, which is why they send me all over to do these videos.  It is a BLAST getting the opportunity to check out all these great places (I probably should've prefaced all of this before my first entry/rant about Christopher Doyle).  Anyway, I finally put up some pictures from Hong Kong and I guess what I really want to say is this:

Hong Kong's got this energy about it.  I know that sounds like a pretty obvious statement considering how it's a city that's literally packed with people every way you look (I remember walking out to the peer once and I thought I was at Disneyland waiting in line for a ride but um no, I was just trying to walk along the peer), but you know, Hong Kong's energy is like derived from coal or something.  It's crude.  Japan would be biodisel compared to it.  I mean, it's grimy, especially when I walked around to look for light bulbs for my studio lights (the 220V circuitry there blew ALL my bulbs except for 3, and this was all in front of the SVP of Asia-Pac), and I remember looking at all the stores, and it's like those industrial warehouses where you walk in and there's a Chinese guy in a wifebeater smoking a cigarette and trying to sell you a set of really expensive marble tiles.  Yeah, it's like that.  But you know what, I LOVED IT.  I grew up in a version of that in the bay area anyway.  I felt comfortable walking around these streets, in a strange way, as if this was somehow my hometown.  My only beef with Hong Kong is that the people don't care about you, which makes it somewhat easier cuz then you don't have to put up a front.  With anybody.  It's somewhat chaotic but it gets the message across.  Please, refute this entry if you want, I'd love to hear your thoughts/perceptions of Hong Kong people.  Obviously, no country produces ONE type of person across the board.  But you know what, immediately after Hong Kong I went to Vancouver for an internal meeting, and I gotta say, I've never sparked so many good conversations with strangers in my life.  It was like the exact opposite of what I was experiencing in Hong Kong and I speak Cantonese fluently too.  More on Vancouver later...
Hong Kong