'Gelanded'

Rio de Janeiro Travel Blog

In my 20 months in Munich, I heard this word far too often (German: to have landed).  This time, obviously, it means a lot more (namely that I'm officially a bum).  I've been in Rio for 4 days, but I'm already baptised a bum, and in true bum fashion I've waited until the last possible moment to blog about this first destination in my 'round the world trip'(http://picasaweb.google.com/matt.schumpert/RoundTheWorldPlan#5295987818252041170)before I move on to the next.  Rio is fabulous, but you don't need me to tell you that.  What I can tell you that may be of value is that BiBis in Leblon makes a bowl of Acai the size of creation (see http://picasaweb.google.com/matt.
schumpert/RioCarnival#5306551312176711410)and that this is quite a comforting experience when recovering from a lovely night of food poisoning (names of restaurants ommitted to protect the identity of the accused... and no, I don't have a picture of that).  In other news, the kiosk "Posto 44" in Copacabana makes a decent Caipirihna, though it's a bit of a walk from here.  A final piece  of useless advice: don't go running for the first time in your life when you're subsequently obliged to walk several miles per day in sandals.

These things are recoverable, but a sense of excitment about starting this chapter of my life is not.  I'm unsure as to when it will really sink in (my new life as a bum),  and whether that moment will be followed by extreme panic, or some other sensation they promised in the brochure.  In any case, at the moment I'm on a wild ride of a vaccation, in an insane place at its most insane (kudos to Johan and Alex who actually managed to be IN the Samba parade).   We're off now to decompress from the Sambadrome and this eternal street party of a  city.  Next stop: Ilha Grande (provided all today's conveyances cooperate).  I'll post somethhing of more value soon, but in the meantime, the first of many albums to be posted is here: http://picasaweb.google.com/matt.schumpert/RioCarnival#

Tchau!