Finding a Free Camp: Hamilton

Hamilton Travel Blog

Walking to Lake St Clair

We had been keen to try out the free camps we had read about and have a copy of Camps 4 Australia Wide.  Hamilton looked to be well placed on our counter clockwise route of Tassie so we headed out.

From Strahan we back tracked through Queenstown then Derwent.  This was high country and we came across and through snow.  January is summer in Australia but we have been told to expect all types of weather in TasmaniaLake St Claire was reputed to be a beautiful place that walkers flock to so it was in our list of places to go.  By now it was really cold.  All the other women had bought some camel coloured zip up vests with fleecy lining and we joked that they were easier to spot and looked like they were part of an organised tour!  At the visitors centre at Lake St Clair I too was feeling the cold despite being rugged up with my Mole Creek spray jacket over the the lot.

Mystical looking Lake St Clair
  I found a pair of thermal long johns and knew that I would get value out of them come Easter time in Canberra at the National Folk Festival.  We walked one of the short walks around the lake.

On to Hamilton where we found a small flat area next to a river in the small village with a few motor homes, caravans and a tent or two.  We sized up where we would put our rigs then drove down the small steep slope and set up.  Just a few meters up the hill and across a road was a toilet block with hot showers for the price of a dollar for three minutes.  What a find!

Thats snow!!!!