A Vietnamese Wedding.

Da Nang Travel Blog

After a long week that had everything from playing games, to teaching, to washing babies, this morning's events were enough to take that off anyone's mind. All the volunteers were invited to our driver's, Mr Hoa's, wedding. Unlike traditional weddings I've attended, Vietnamese weddings are spread out over a week or so and the part we were invited to attend was the reception.

Set in a dining hall, when you walked in, everything was done over the top. The decorations reminded me of the weddings seen in the wedding singer, tons of colour, curtains, balloons (which somehow managed to all pop in a row when the bride and groom entered), hanging stage lights, a full band setup on stage, and tons of decorated arches. We all took seats at a table of 8 or so and began with some Vietnamese Tiger beer. Later as the bride and groom entered to heavy death metal, the lights go crazy and they enter on stage to have silver confetti shot out on either side of them as the balloons are popping - quite the enterance.

As the beer continued to be poured, we had a 7 course meal all while being entertained with various guests singing karoake at the top of their lungs. Finally our table of volunteers gets up on stage to sing. I just remember thinking as we are singing, this is perhaps the oddest experience I've ever had...

All in all, the wedding was a huge success and the bride ended up giving us her cake because apparently the guests don't eat the cake at vietnamese weddings. By 2:30pm, the reception was over and we're all back here getting ready to carry on to Hoi An for the night for a beach party, surely to be great.
hummingbird50 says:
Nice to know your having fun out there Amber!!!!
Posted on: Mar 08, 2009