Ha Long Bay

Cat Ba Island Travel Blog

On Wednesday night, I met a girl, Kim, from Belgium for dinner at Baan Thai in the Old Quarter. After yet again a delicious meal, we headed out to various travel agencies to look for Ha Long Bay tours. We finally settled on one, a little more expensive than some of the others, but we felt would be worth it. Good thing we did pick a nicer one because we lucked out terribly. We were picked up Thursday morning and drove for about 3 and a half hours to the bay before loading our boat for lunch. Our Boat, the Marguerite Junk, was one of the newest boats among the hundreds out there in the bay and the service was excellent. We had a fantastic room with probably the comfiest bed I've slept on my whole time in Vietnam. Lunch and dinner were both extravagant with each dish's presentation better than the previous'. With flowers cut from carrots and small arrangements of other veggies, it was all too neat to see. After lunch we toured the "Amazing Cave" and then went kayaking through the islands. Though the weather was overcast and there was tons of fog, the karysts were even more beautiful and mysteriuos.

Waking early to a clearer sky, Kim and I switched boats to take us to Cat Ba Island since we were doing the two night tour. After hiking up a mountain in Cat Ba National Park, we had to turn back not even half way because of all the wasps. Next taken to our hotel, we were told to wait in the car while the other guests were checked in. We were told we were staying somewhere different and whisked away to the Holiday View Hotel. To our surprise this new, 14 story hotel right on the beach was going to be ours! The meals here are even harder to explain, so amazing! Just staying the one night here, we've just woken and are about to head up for breakfast, but I thought I'd keep everyone posted in the mean time. Today's agenda is mostly travel, we'll be taken back to the mainland to have lunch and then driven back to Hanoi. Tonight I've booked myself into a nicer hotel, the Camilla 4, and will be staying here for my last 3 nights in Hanoi before heading back south. However, breakfast awaits so I must be off.

Write soon,