Some updates

Brooklyn Travel Blog

Sunday, March 25, 2007 �" March 26, 2007

Andrea and I talked lots about China today in the short hour we reserved to study points. So much for studying �" this trip is just the most incredible thing right now. I am thinking about it a lot �" waiting for my travel guide to arrive (purchased from, trying to learn a little Chinese every day, thinking about what I’d need to get, pack, and do before I go.

Right now we have 3 people definitely committed to going �" Andrea, Eulix, and myself. Karen is about 90% sure she is going �" I still have to email her to explain that she needs to commit; otherwise our rates can’t be calculated. She also needs to know that if she backs out, Eulix will have to pay extra money to be in a room by herself, which is not cool.

On the physical frontier �" I am taking lots of herbs and homeopathic remedies to take care of my health, I am working on paying close attention to my hunger levels, and I am starting my workouts again tomorrow morning.

Today I went to B&N and bought a beginner’s book to learning Chinese, and a Chinese Mini-Dictionary. The beginner’s book looks like so much fun �" it’s colorful and has lots of cool things like stickers with Chinese words to label common household items and little flashcards to study verbs and such. Very exciting! I could have bought the same book on for a little less money, but I just didn’t want to wait! There are no Chinese characters in it, but I think those are not as vitally important right now. If I still feel strongly about learning Chinese characters after this book, I will get character books later. No attachments either way!

Today I also stayed conscious of my hunger levels (which is a lot easier to do when it’s warmer and sunnier outside) and went back to working out! I also decided that I am going to make sure I don’t exercise 2 days in a row, because I really do need that rest day if the exercise is going to be helpful and if I am to come back to it with any amount of enthusiasm.

I’m starting to think a lot about what to bring and how to prepare for this trip in terms of packing. I just can’t wait to read the travel guide (already shipped, should get here this week) for this information, so my mind is running on and on about it. Andrea told me that her travel blogs about her earlier trip(s) to China would give me some information about this. I look forward to reading those when I have some time (or rather, when my consciousness reaches the point where it needs this information).

AndiPerullo says:
I decided to start being more serious about my Chinese again, so I just signed up for regular classes with my teacher every Friday until the big trip. Well, not every Friday, because I am doing some traveling here and there, haha, but most Fridays! It'll be fun to be your translator. Wo ai zhongwen he ni!!!
Posted on: Mar 26, 2007
Eric says:
Hi Vanessa, not sure if you already know this, but just in case you don't -- if you want your journal entries to appear on separate pages, you can just change the date or location of your entry. For instance, you could make one journal entry for March 24, another for March 25, another for March 26, and they would all appear on separate pages. Might make organizing your blog a little bit easier!
Posted on: Mar 26, 2007