Progress so far...

Brooklyn Travel Blog

Friday, April 6, 2007

4pm

So here is what’s been happening so far. Our flight tickets have been issued, for all four of us, which means we are now guaranteed to be going on this trip! It’s a little hard to believe right now, but fact is fact.

This morning I spent time on the itinerary, putting all the right dates with the cities. I color-coded the cities we are going to and made bookmarks in my travel guide on the pages that describe the places we’re going to. This will make it easier to read and find the info I need. I’d been overwhelmed by the nearly 700-page guide and couldn’t really see how it’s possible to absorb anything from it when there is just so much. Now it’s more accessible to me.

Physically, winter has been hard on me and I also just finally realized how important sleep is for my health. For a couple of weeks I went to bed early and got a good 8-9 hours of sleep, and felt really well. Then, for a couple of nights I stayed up really late and felt really unwell. Not only weak physically, but also down emotionally. I really did learn my lesson this time, because a depressive attitude means I can’t really follow any sort of normal diet nor can I exercise. Overall it makes me feel like I’ve made no progress at all, even when that’s obviously not true. But that’s what depression is �" it just makes everything look and feel bad, even things that are good.

Nonetheless, I’ve been making an effort to work out 2-3 times a week and eat healthier. Now that winter is lifting, both of these should be easier to do, and I look forward to losing some weight. I am taking some homeopathic remedies to help with my thyroid as well as with the weight loss. It’ll take some time before they “kick in” �" I just have to stay consistent. I know their stuff works because their asthma remedy worked on me almost immediately. I just need to give it time. I will be more fit and stronger by the time we go to China. Plus, it will be so much fun to shop for clothes both before the trip and in China when I have a smaller size.

I looked into altitude sickness today, and realized that it’s not a joke. It’s not just minor nausea or a headache, it can be really serious. I decided that before I go on the trip, I will definitely see my doctor and get a prescription. Here is some info I found on http://www.chinatibettrain.com/altitudesickness.htm:

“Acetazolamide (Diamox®) is a medication that forces the kidneys to excrete bicarbonate, the base form of carbon dioxide; this re-acidifies the blood, balancing the effects of the hyperventilation that occurs at altitude in an attempt to get oxygen. This re-acidification acts as a respiratory stimulant, particularly at night, reducing or eliminating the periodic breathing pattern common at altitude. Its net effect is to accelerate acclimatization. Acetazolamide isn't a magic bullet, cure of AMS [Acute Mountain Sickness] is not immediate. It makes a process that might normally take about 24-48 hours speed up to about 12-24 hours.”

I think it’s worth it to take this in my case. We’re flying into Tibet so we can’t make a slow ascent and get gradually used to the thinner air. We also don’t have several days to get used to the air when we get to Lhasa, so I will need to prepare in other ways. I really do want to enjoy Tibet, it is the one spiritual place I don’t want to miss.

Next up, is that I am on a break from school until the end of April. It’s going to be busy because I am singing in a concert on April 28 and 29 and we have lots of rehearsals scheduled. I am also working on rehearsing for a solo I got in our May concert. This solo is a big deal, because it’s my first one ever! It’s also not at ALL easy, neither vocally, nor emotionally. BUT! I do have 2 months to rehearse, one of which is April, during which, as I said, I’m off from school.

Nonetheless, I will have some time in April that I will spend preparing for the trip to China. I will make a packing list, read up on the places we’re going to and study Chinese as well. April will be busy, and productive!

mfmcp1982 says:
care, sorry!
Posted on: Aug 07, 2008
mfmcp1982 says:
Hi there - I was just wondering what your thyroid issues are? I've just been diagnosed with a seriously overactive thyroid - diagnosis on Monday, hospital appointment 7 days later (that's quick for us).
Take caer
Posted on: Aug 07, 2008
AndiPerullo says:
I think I'm going to take the Western Medicine with the Chinese herbs. I found out the name of the Chinese herbs, they are hong jing tian. Plus we should bring our needles in case of an emergency! :)
Posted on: Apr 06, 2007