Husky sled trip

Lake Inari Travel Blog

Last day with the huskies. Harnessing the dogs was a lot easier than the first time. Maybe all the dog sweets I'd been feeding them were finally paing off.

You'd think I got the hang of riding the sled by now. When I stopped the sled to light a cigarette (yeah, yeah, I know)  I had only one foot on the brakes.  The dogs weren't to impressed with the weight I put on it and pulled the sled from right under my foot.  The dogs started their enthusiastic gallop like they always do the first couple of hunderd metres. I started running but it was no match, they gained a couple of hunderd metres on me in no time. They passed another sled but it's rider couldn't stop mine. The dogs didn't come to halt untill one of the mushers on a snowscooter stopped them.

This proves again that smoking is bad for you.

Back at the husky farm I  had a look at the puppy kennels. It's a good thing the puppies were behind fences, I really felt the urge to hide one under my jacket and take it with me.                                       Taking one last look at Fram, Sky, Duska and Kablu I was about to burst ou in tears, It was so weird just leaving them like that after spending 3 full day with them.

In the evening the sky was as clear as it could be. The temparaure was lower than before as well, so if we'd ever got a chance to see the northern lights it would have to be tonight.

We walked outside for more than an hour and saw nothing.  Back at the hotel for just 15 minutes a goup member came in ; we saw it , we saw it.  We got outside again and indeed there was "something" in the sky. It wasn't exactly like I'd seen on photo's. First of all it didn't have any colour, it looked just like a cloud. It wasn't very clear either. At first it didn't even move that much, if the sky hadn't been that crystal-clear you might have thought it was just an odd shaped cloud.  Maybe I'm being too fussy, but I'm not going to count this as having seen the northern light, I'll have to go back to the polar circle someday to "really" see it.

With my point and click camera it was no use trying to photograph it either. Tommy, one of the mushers, was an expert in Photographing the northern lights. He'd told us that you'd need an exposure time of at least 20 seconds. Eric was the only one in our group who managed to get it on picture.The light looked greener on the picture than I'd remembered seeing it with my own eyes. It might not have been the greatest northern light of all time, I still hope he'll send it to me.

mountaingirl says:
This must have been an incredible tour of the Finnish wilderness :-)
Posted on: Jan 30, 2008