Schiphol Amsterdam-->Helsinki-->Ivalo

Ivalo Travel Blog

Russia is not that far away

Ski jacket, ski socks, impermeable shoes, all the fleece sweaters I could find,  thermo underwear: I think I'm ready for the trip. Ivalo is located in the Arctic circle and even though the temparatures are usually not that extreme in March I'm not taking any chances.

To save some space in my backpack I tried putting on as much clothes as I could. In Amsterdam it wasn't that could though: Fortunately the Customs  found nothing suspicious about my sweating so much.      After a (too) short stopver in Helsinki we went on to Ivalo. There it turned out that the stopover hadn't been long enough to load all the luggage into the next plane. My backpack was apparently still in Helsinki.  After filling out some forms and receiving a toilet kit from Finnair we continued to the hotel. Here I ate reindeer for the first time in my life. I didn't like it that much: way too salty! Later I learned it was just prepared badly since I had several great reindeer meals the rest of the week.

A short stroll around the village learned Ivalo had as much as 5 gas stations for it's population of 3,998!

ilserita says:
Congrats on your feature! :)
Hope you really enjoyed your time in Finland!
Posted on: Oct 02, 2013
Zagnut66 says:
Congrats on being featured!
Posted on: Oct 02, 2013
lvdp says:
This trip I should add to my favorite future trips . . . Really beautifull. Groeten, Lex.
Posted on: Aug 07, 2009