Oh Argentina, Argentina!

Buenos Aires Travel Blog

The obelisk and 9 the julio street

This trip was very exciting and special because it was my first time outside North America. Argentina became officially the third in my visited countries list. I went there because one of my close friends in the States was getting married. I was told that Argentinian weddings are quite an event and I wanted to see that for myself. So, I booked my Continental tickets, made my bags (which were big, because I would be there during the Argentinian winter).

I had never taken such a long flight (10 hrs) but I was mentalized for it. Everything was quite comfortable actually. I met a cool guy in the plane (we worked with the same statistical software) and he offered to give me a ride downtown. Some people thought I was crazy for accepting a ride from a stranger, but I think I am quite good in getting to know people pretty soon.

In Plaza San Martin

When this guy's brother went picking him up, he tried to greet me with a kiss in the cheek. LOL I think I instintively shied back... I hope it was not rude for him. I had no idea that it was common for men to greet their male friends by kissing in Argentina! (I proved that during the following days LOL).

Anyway, after that embarrasing incident, these guys dropped me by the metro station. Buenos Aires subway system is very easy, just four parallel lines that connect to a mainline at downtown. I stepped out at the station I was instructed to... and just as I was about to take a look at my city map, there it was... the obelisk! Now I knew exactly where I was. The heart of the city!

Nueve de julio street in Buenos Aires is incredibly HUGE.

English square
They say it's the widest street in the world. It might be true, you can't come across in one single traffic light when you are walking. My hotel was fairly close to where I was and I found it easily. It was located on the De Mayo avenue, which is really beautiful It goes from the Casa Rosada to the Parlament building, so it's a bit like Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington, DC.

So, once in my hotel, a few curious things happened. First, I was told that I could not receive room visits after 9 PM (!) haha I wasn't planning to receive any, but I felt like in the dorm. Then when I was in my room, I noticed that I couldn't plug any of my electronics, oh no! All the plugs were shaped in a strange rounded shape twin connector that I of course had not been prepared for.

La Casa Rosada
Fortunately my camera had enough battery to survive that day, but later I had to go and get me an adaptor. Then, the toilet OMG never seen such strange toilets. And that strange thing besides the sink... what is it for? To clean one's feet or one's butt? Later I learned it was called "bidet" and it is to clean the second thing I mentioned. Enough said.

After taking a shower and resting a bit, I called home just to let everybody know I arrived safely and then prepared to hit the road. It was going to be a looong day of walking I knew it. I didn't want to lose any minute while touring B.A. At first, it felt a bit like being in Mexico City. I guess it's the big city vibe. The first thing I saw after the great buildings of the De Mayo street was Teatro Colon and the Square of San Martin, where a local guy asked me if I wanted a photo of myself taken.

De Mayo street
He knew I was Mexican just by me saying "yes". I was amazed. Then, of course he wanted a tip for the service. Huh, smart guy. I gave him 20 pesos. He wanted 50. I said no.

Then I went to the English Square and the Casa Rosada, where Madonna performed for her famous movie "Evita". The cathedral of Buenos Aires was a bit unusual, looked more like a greek-like building than a cathedral. The remains of independence hero San Martin are resting there. I tried to find some street food, but in that sense Buenos Aires is no Mexico City, so all I found was some poor hot dogs by the Casa Rosada.

I walked back to my hotel to take some rest, and then later in the evening I visited the Congress building. Very impressive, similar to the American capitols in a way. There were a few protests because of the problems with the people from the countryside. I guess that's everyday news for Latin American countries. It was cool because Mexican music was being played in one of the protest camps. After that, I called it a day. I had seen quite something for a few hours and my feet needed some rest.

montecarlostar says:
Yeah Paul, B.A. has got that European vibe, but in some places it feels like Mexico City as well! Yeah haha that's a good idea of Mexico City, there is an Avenue there called Paseo de la Reforma, built by Emperor Maximilian of Habsburg, and it looks like the Champs Elysees in Paris ;)

Thanks so much Sylvia and David! I really appreciate the comment ;) Have a great weekend! :D
sylviandavid says:
congratulations on your featured blog.... so happy to see it! You do a great job here on TB!
Paulovic says:
Awesome! Haha, Argentina is the only country I kissed men, too! :P strange people these Porteños, haha! I really loved this city. I had more the feeling I was in Paris or Milan. But never have been in Mexico City, although I have an idea how Mexico City must be like. Like most Latin American big cities, haha! Plaza Central. Same kind of Catedral. Avenidas grandes. Etcétera!
De Mayo street
The remains of San Martin at the N…
The remains of San Martin at the …
de Mayo St.
de Mayo St.
The obelisk
The obelisk
The cathedral
The cathedral
Buenos Aires Hotels & Accommodations review
Ok for a couple of nights
I stayed in Buenos Aires for 3 days and I needed a basic hotel in downtown. This is exactly what I was looking for. Hotel Marbella is located in the w… read entire review