Lønstrup - Day 6

Lonstrup Travel Blog

Light House
Lønstrup was one of the highlights of the trip for me.  One of my ancestors emigrated from this town in the 1800's.  My great-great-great grandfather (or so) was keeper of the lighthouse, Captain of the Lifeboat and received a silver cross from King Christian IX of Denmark as a medal of bravery for saving 88 people.  The least I could do was visit and take some photos to match the old ones in my family's genology book.  You may recognize the lighthouse if you've seen any photos from Jutland, Denmark.  It is very unique as sand dunes have grown up around it and appear as if they'll eventually swallow the lighthouse.  My "great" grandfather's church was also nearby, so we visited that as well.  Unfortunately, the cliff the church is built has been eroding.
Mårup Kirke
  As a result, the church is in endanger of falling into the ocean sometime in the next decade.  We also tried to find my "great" grandfather's house.  We found one that looks similar with the help of a very friendly lady at Lønstrup's tourist office who had also pointed us in the right direction of the light house and church.  The house we found was very similar, but we noticed some small differences so I'm not completely sure it was the right house.  Regardless, it was a very enjoyable experience for me to visit this town.  I should also mention this town is a major summer vacation spot and its population increases dramatically during the season.  I'll have to go back in the summer sometime.
pukdam says:
Go in late August then... I usually go with my boyfriend and his family, we stay at a house in skallerup klit resort - Its 5 km down the beach from Lønstrup :)

I don't go for summer vacation.. Usually a week in September/October but sometimes in march/april :)
Posted on: Oct 29, 2013
the_bill says:
Thanks Puk! I went up one of the sand hills. There was also a family sledding down another hill in their winter coats. I haven't been back since, but I would like to go back sometime. Preferably in warmer weather. :-) Do you go for summer vacation?
Posted on: Oct 28, 2013
pukdam says:
I am there almost every year - did you run to the top of the sand hill?? (danish tradition in Lønstrup!) lol..

Have you been there since? Its amazing how much its changed since your photos!!

Wonderful post and great ancestors to live up to ;)
Posted on: Oct 28, 2013