Lisbon, Portugal

Lisbon Travel Blog

Lisbon

As mentioned in the last blog, Madrid is the the hub for the Iberian Peninsula (Spain and Portugal).  So to go to Lisbon from Malaga, I had to catch a train back to Madrid, and then from there, catch a night train to Lisbon.  I only booked these tickets the day before, so the night train only had 2 seats left.  Seats, not beds.  So another first, a night train.  It began with the conductor yelling at me in Spanish because I didn't understand what he was trying to tell me about my Eurail Pass.  And me telling him to calm down a bunch probably didn't help.  Then my seat was beside the automatic door that kept opening and closing all night.  And for some reason they set the coach temperature to under 10°C.

Lisbon
  It was so cold I wore my coat, my sweater, my scarf and was still cold.  Then to top it off, they came around at 4am to check our tickets.  I don't think I slept an hour.  The first thing I did when I got off the train was buy a bed for my train ride to Paris in a few days.  When I finally got to my hostel, I was first worried that I had picked another sketchy place, based on all of the hundreds of empty beer cups all over the street.  Turns out this is just a normal Saturday morning, because my hostel was located where all the locals party in the street.  But a couple of hours later, the city was cleaning it all up. Weird. So I wasn't allowed to check in for another 3 hours.  This was a little annoying, having gone to the beach the day before right before catching my train, I was still full of sand and I had been wearing the same clothes for the last 36 hours.
Lisbon
..well I was feeling a little dirty to say the least.  Free breakfast and internet would have to keep my satisfied until then.  After checking in, I went for a walk with an English girl I was sharing the dorm with, Emilie.  I'm actually considering going back to London, just based on all the nice English people I'm meeting.  So after the walk I was so disoriented (my guess is lack of sleep lol) that I was walking into walls and misplacing everything, that I decided to take it easy for the afternoon.

The next day, after sleeping like a baby, I woke up not knowing what I wanted to do.  I figured I'd go to the beach.  It turns out a Swedish guy from my dorm, Emil, was going to the Cascais beach as well.  The sun felt stronger here than in Malaga.  After only 2 hours, I was burning.  So we left to get some groceries.  We had a great pasta dinner for €1 each.  Portugal is really cheap!

Dr_Seuss says:
Train conductors and language barriers.

Been there :-D