Mama Silan

Silang Travel Blog

For a while, I had been itching to do something really interesting. Something that wasn't about me and how much fun I was having, but something that meant more than a good travel story when I got home, or a nice picture to show my friends. I had heard about an orphanage in Silang called Chosen Children Village for kids with disabilities. I was able to go check it out while I was staying in Tagaytay and learned that I could possibly volunteer there for a number of days. They have accomodation and food available for me for only $100USD a week. Since I'm applying for grad school in Occupational Therapy, I figured this could be a great opportunity to learn more about the field and get experience working with kids with disabilities.

For 10 days, I stayed in the village and volunteered with their Occupational Thearpy department, working with the kids, and helping with feedings during meals. Looking back on the experience it was one of the greatest things I've ever experienced, but certainly during those 10 days, though short, there were some very tumultuous times. I kept a journal, which I wrote in three or four times a day, and reading back through it, it was a difficult experience to get through. There were feelings of helplessness, awkwardness, confusion and dread. But there was also feelings of excitement, love and friendship that I found in all of the staff and the kids. 10 days was truly too short of a stay, because it took me just that long to get used to the routine and what I was doing. It all seems very cliche, but I guess the great things in life are what make cliches, and this was a great thing in life. By the end of my short stay, I was truly sad to leave and still miss all the kids and their enthusiasm for life everyday.

There are about 70 kids who stay at CCV, but over 300 have gone through in their 20 years of existence. Their ages range from infants a few months old, to 21. Many kids have been adopted, and some are sent to the US to receive surgeries needed for their disabilities. Their host families have the option of adopting the children through an international adoption agency after the surgery.

Accomodation for the volunteers is very nice. They don't get many volunteers, so there are a few empty rooms ready to be filled. But I had my own room with a private bathroom, and a shower with hot water. There is also a washing machine for volunteers to use.

For more information, visit or message me if you'd like to learn more!

Volunteers are always needed! There are opportunities in their rehab centre (physio, OT, speech therapy), school or in general caretaking.
lisa says:
awwww i love this post! sounds like an unforgettable experience :)
Posted on: Mar 11, 2009