False hope

Cagayan de Oro Travel Blog

 › entry 9 of 19 › view all entries
We awoke the next morning nice and early to get ready to leave by 5:30am to get to the airport.  We checked out of the hotel and met our driver. He alerted us to the fact that the first morning flight was cancelled due to weather conditions and it's doubtful that this extra flight we were trying to get on would leave, as some of the other flights that morning would be cancelled as well. Oh swell!

We checked back into our hotel, and were able to extend our stay one night... I guess we will try again tomorrow! Until then, we would have another day to explore Cagayan de Oro.

We headed back to the room to go back to sleep for a bit before heading out again. After spending about an hour at an internet cafe and telling our friends and family where we were, we took a taxi to Limketkai - because what else do you do in the Philippines, other than go to the mall? We were there for a couple hours before we got a text message from the travel agent telling us to make ourselves available between 2 and 3, because a flight from Manila may be able to land, and we might be able to catch it's return to the city. When we get the text to get to the airport, we rush back by taxi to Dynasty Hotel and grab our things. Since it's past the 2pm check-out time, we have to pay for half the night, but at this point, we didn't care.

Our driver was there to meet us at the hotel, and we rushed off to the airport into the crowded waiting room of eager-to-get-back travellers. So we waited... and waited... and waited. We even saw the plane circling in the sky and trying to land... but eventually, it was forced to turn around and head back to Manila. A communal groan was let out by everyone in the terminal as the announcement was made that the flights were cancelled.

Luckily, since our friend worked for Del Monte, we were able to hang off their resources and join a Del Monte employee and two clients as we all tried to get back to Manila together. We would give up for the day, and try again for tomorrow morning. We drove back to the Del Monte lodge, where Julia and I had stayed over the weekend, and were told that we would definitely get out in the morning. That night, we watched and heard the rain slam against the windows and roofs.
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
Cagayan de Oro
photo by: Luv