Bad News at Work

Sacramento Travel Blog

My company has been going through a restructure/reorganization for the last year and laid off 300 people last May.  They have been talking about redesigning the entire claims department but keep delaying on when they plan to tell us about the changes in store for us.  It was supposed to be last summer, then October, and now fast forward to March and they finally communicate some information to us.

In the new redesign, my department does not exist.  Our positions are being eliminated and our job functions will be completed by a combination of field staff and those back in the regional centers in Las Vegas, Colorado Springs, and Oklahoma City.  They are still not sure what they plan to do, if we have to reapply for new jobs, whether they will find other slots for us, etc.  It makes me very sad for those who have given 20, or 30+ years to this company and this is how they are treated.

They expect the new roles to be defined and the project to be completed in May, results communicated in June.  Given the news today, I am more confident in my decision to leave my life behind here and move to Taiwan.  Before, I was very hestitant to leave my career and what I considered "the perfect job" in this industry to move abroad.  But now, I feel like it is a sign and perhaps this is what I am meant to do.  :-)  I also feel better if my leaving helps secure a position for someone who has deep family roots in the area or the sole breadwinner for their family.

Even though I know I am leaving soon, I am still pretty sad about the future of my department.

bschooled says:
That is a great way of looking at things, Erin! Not only are you doing something meaningful and adventurous, you may be inadvertently helping someone else as well!
Posted on: May 08, 2009