Skiing in France

France Travel Blog

Friday the 13th... For me it was a good day! At 9am I my friends, Gerard and Gaby, picked me up and the holiday started! We had a good trip. The weather was fine, almost no traffic and after 8 hours of driving we arrived at Lyon (France). Here we stayed one night in a Formula 1 Motel. I never stayed in a F1 motel before. Toilet and shower were in the hallway and the room was sooo small. But for one night is was oke.
We had dinner at Bufallo Grill. When we came in nobody was there. When we left the restaurant, people were waiting at the front door to get a table. The food was good and the prices reasonable. No wonder it was so busy.

At 9pm we went to bed. I was getting a bad cold and couldn't fall asleep.

Brrrr
My nose was 'closed', so I only good breath through my mouth and that gave me a sore throat. Next morning we left the F1 motel and I felt worse. But never mind. After two more hours we arrived at Les Glovettes. But not before the navigation system navigated us shortest road: a snowy off road path through the woods, instead of the normal road which was 10 minutes longer. Scary! Luckily our car had winter tires.

We picked up the key of the appartment at the ski rental and dumped our stuff in the small place. My parents, brother and his girlfriend would arrive at the end of the day. I had a bed in the hallway and my parents had the sleeping couch in the living room. Didn't matter, because we were only in the appartment for breakfast, dinner and at night. The shower and toilet were fine and that's important!

Gerard and Gaby have their own gear, but I don't.

The Vercors valley
So I went back to the ski rental. Apparently it's difficult to get the right shoes. After the fouth type of shoe the guy got frustrated. The lady of the rental gave the last option and it was the right one. I have a high and wide foot and big calfs, so there are not many shoes that fit well. But I succeeded! At 11am Gerard and I started skiing. I felt sick, but skiing was more important. We took the ski lift up and it was freezing cold!! Ice winds, cloudy and sunshine every now and then. In the valley it was -20 degrees celcius. Imagine how cold it was up the mountain. After three years I touched snow again and it felt like it was yesterday. It went great! After 3,5 hours of skiing I was exhausted, breathless and extremely cold so I went back to the appartment. The first hour I wasn't able to do or say a thing.
Being sick
Slowely I started to get back on temperature.
At 4pm my parents, Thijs and Leoni arrived. We had a simple dinner, soup and bread, played some games and went early to bed.

Sunday the weather was great. Blue sky and sunshine. I took a platic blow-up crocodile from home to go down the hills. Together with Leoni we tried to slide down, but the croc died right away. With some tape we fixed the hole. Unfortunately the crocodile wasn't made for using in the snow... :p The rest of the day I felt weak, but skiing was the most important thing to do. Happily painkillers did the work... :-(
Monday I finally started to feel better. My nose was running, so that was a good thing. My parents, Gerard and I did a tour of a couple of hours. The views were amazing. With lunch I exploded out of my ski pants.

Feeling like a truck run me over
Five years ago it was a little oversized, but today it was a little tight and I had to sneeze... The zipper broke out... No way I could fix it there. My dad made my day: he had his rain pants with him and I could change into them.
This day it was extremely cold again, mostly because of the ice wind. I prefer to ski the blue and red slopes. In France the colors decribe the difficulty of the slope: green = easy, blue = average, red = difficult, black = extremely difficult. I don't like black. It's too difficult for me. Too steep. I like skiing, but I'm not a die hard. It's all about fun for me.

Tuesday the weather was bad. My parents and I decided to pay a visit to French friends in the area and we visited the campsite where we went to many times when I was a kid.

The blow-up crocodile
A big surprise was that the owners where at the campsite. We had a coffee and walked over the terrain. There was half a meter snow. Funny to see the campsite like this. There is nothing to do at thi campsite. I just have many good memories of this place. I definitely will come back some day for camping again.

Wednesday, another day of skiing. I sucked. My legs were horrible. Blew up my muscles. After a few hours I quited and sat down in the sun and got tanned. Not bad at all. Relaxing is part of the holiday too for me. Thursday, I still sucked. I did  only a few slopes and sat down with Gaby again! At the end of the day I did the down hill with my mum. We took a forest path and took some funny pics. After a quick shower, there was just a small amount of hot water, we went to Villard de Lans for dinner in the restaurant La Bacha.

There I go
Dinner was amazing!! I had a salad with blue cheese, chicken with melted cheese and delicious ice cream.
Villard de Lans lies in the region The Vercors. In 1968 the Olympic Winter Games were held in Grenoble, which lies in the valley. Villard has the slopes and the snow sport games took place there. The sign/statue is the proof. We stayed in Les Glovettes. That is the name for the appartment complex 200 meter higher.

Friday, the last day already. My parents and I started a little later than Thijs and Gerard. Gaby and Leoni (her first snow holiday) took a ski lift to sit down at the restaurant on the mountain with the slopes. When I sat down in the ski lift I got launched out of it.

Reparing the croc
At the moment I wanted to put the safety bar down, the lift stopped with a bang. I shot of the seats and fell a meter down in the powder snow. I couldn't stop laughing, nor did any one who saw it happen... :-). Again it was a beautiful day. Unfortunately Leoni and I got in fight with a French old man and younger wife with kids. We sat down at a table and he came later and wanted the whole table. We gave them some place. They started pushing us a side, but we stayed. He got agressive and pushed Leoni down at her head. Fortunately other people came and helped us out. Freaking old man!!!  He never came back. Think he had a bad day...
And then it's time to start packing again. After catching the last sunshine of the day with a beer at the balcony, we put all our stuff in the car.
The view from our appartment, the slopes
Had dinner and went to bed. By 5.30am we woke up, got dressed, said goodbye to my parents, Thijs and Leoni and took off. They were leaving later.
The way back was as good and easy as the way we came. Traffic was light and weather was good. After less than ten hours I was home again!

It was a great holiday! It was fun, great snow, amazing weather. Don't know when I go again, but I will be skiing again in the future!

Globevoyager says:
I know, i've been there too in summer once with my parents when I was little :-)
Posted on: Feb 24, 2009
bernard69 says:
this place is also very interesting in Summer with family atmosphere,cool weather,lots of rides,low altitude,a paradise for kids and elders!
Posted on: Feb 24, 2009
Reparing the croc
The view from our appartment, the …
The view from our appartment, the…
Leoni getting skiing lessons