Fourth of July

Washington Travel Blog

A friend of mine from Chicago decided to come out to visit DC this weekend.  We decided to head into town to wander around and check out the fireworks display later at night.  We started the afternoon heading over to the Eastern Market metro station exit to get some breakfast.  The flea market was actually open, so after lunch we decided to wander around and check out what was for sale.  She bought some more earrings at the market.  It's nice moving around as much as I do for work, but when you go to flea markets, you keep thinking to yourself, "How much of a pain is it going to be to move that?".

Onwards from the flea market to Artomatic by the Navy Yard Metro station.  If you haven't been, it's definitely worth checking out.
  Held once a year for an entire month, it's a showcase for local artists.  From the website, "The event features nine floors of visual and installation art, theater performances, dance and comedy, three music stages, street performances such as fire dancing and drum troupes, and a film screening theater."  You really need to check it out on more than one day because there is just so much going on.

We weren't hungry after artomatic, but figured that we should head to a restaurant before the fireworks.  We found Rosa Mexicano on F street right across from the Verizon Center.  The food was a little pricey, but good and the margarita was well loaded with alcohol.  The fireworks started as we started to walk back, so we probably missed 10-15 minutes of them, which probably wouldn't have been too bad if I was back in Chicago or Milwaukee.  The Fireworks in DC didn't seem as large or to go on as long as I remember the ones from back home.  They were fun to watch nevertheless and you couldn't ask for a better backdrop.

After the fireworks we went to RFD in Chinatown, had a few drinks and called it a night.
Washington Sights & Attractions review
Huge art exhibit
Sensory overload is all I can think of when I try to describe Artomatic. For those of you who haven't been, it's an annual art festival held for the … read entire review
Washington Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Upscale Mexican Restaurant
As you would expect from a place within walking distance of the Verizon center and the National Mall, the prices aren't cheap. Nevertheless, Rosa's d… read entire review
photo by: b93sp